Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• judging handbook

Hi everybody
    well it has arrived, anyone wanting a judging handbook can do so on-line. just go to the pre-registration page and click on the picture of the handbook. this is the latest version that is still at the printer's, so not even I have one yet. there are a few minor changes in the book which should be available after the first of the year. so if you want the latest and greatest go to the web and print out your own copy. THANKS WEBGUY!
    Kevin

Judging Handbook proofreading

Kevin:

I printed the 2004 Judging Handbook successfully, thanks. If the printer has not started the presses rolling, there are a few very minor proofreading issues you may want to consider. Pardon the intrusion by the "new kid on the block," and I am sure that no one else but me would ever notice, and leaving the book the way it is will be totally fine. But in case you are nitpicky, here goes.

One error in in Section VI, General Information paragraph 13 on page 15, which begins: The Chief Judge (or in his absence) his representative. That probably should be: The Chief Judge or (in his absence) his representative.

Another area is the absence of several apostrophes to indicate the possessive. I know that some publications choose to omit them altogether, but the handbook uses some and omits them elsewhere. An example of the correct use of an apostrophe (cited to show that the handbook uses them sometimes) is in Section VI, Guideline No. 3 on page 12 (team captain's discretion).

Omitted apostrophes include Section I, paragraph B, page 2 (at a member[']s home); Section V, paragraph 1, on page 8 (entrant[']s name); paragraph 13 on page 15 (the Judges['] Coffee).

I will close by noting (without itemizing) use of the masculine pronoun "his" in various places. I know that many organizations have rejected the trend to neutralize the gender reference, but in case it is an open issue with AMCA, I will offer one suggestion. Instead of the tiresome "or her" often used, some groups omit the pronoun altogether. For example, General Information paragraph 4 on page 13 could be changed to read: "When judging is complete the score will be tabulated and presented to the Chief Judge or the Chief Judge's representative." The same could be done in paragraph 13 on page 15.

Great job on the Handbook. I am proud to be part of this club.

Roy D. Wasson

Comment

judging handbook

Thanks Roy (or should that be Thank's Roy)
      I will let you know that the only foreign language I took in high school was ENGLISH. I have a tendency to write just like I talk, but I cannot take credit for all of the book. I just made some minor changes and sent them for reprint, then another member emailed me and asked if we could put in on the web page. when I asked our computer wizard "the webguy" he said NO PROBLEM
      and got it up and running in a matter of days(or day's). I hope everybody enjoys and uses this new feature
      Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X