Clear All

• 1 foot in the grave

Wow
    Been checking out all cat. on site not enough interaction.Posts
    are minimal .I dont know why no excitement exzists.What do you
    think?
    Pete

Low Activity Volume

Many of my friends (even old motorcycle riders and riders of old motorcycles) claim they have no time for internet stuff. I, on the other hand, only had 2 World Series games this past week, scuba diving on Sunday, and a court appearance all morning yesterday (I am the lawyer, not a party), plus a volunteer board meeting at lunchtime, my daugher's soccer practice. No wonder I have time to send a reply to your query.)

We need to make it fun to participate, such as by offering prizes and incentives (see my post called Antique Motorcyclist Forum to win your prize).

Roy

Comment

The real reason is most of our members have been around since dues were five bucks a year & the only computer was a univac!! By the way, whats this powerpoint thing all about??

Comment

I just posted a couple....Hope ya's likes'em... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I agree. This is a great club side dish that more people should use.

Comment

Hello,
            I have a few ideas about what could affect participation in this forum:

Age - In the internet training classes I teach, younger people tend to be more computer savvy, and are accustomed to using computers in their daily life. More seasoned people tend to have difficulty with typing, viewing the monitor, and using a mouse is hard when ones hand is shaking.

Internet Connection - If you live in a large city and have a DSL or Cable modem, then your connection is always on, images download fast, and navigating the web is less frustrating. However, if you have a dial-up modem, you have to wait to be connected, and the connection often breaks, and most importantly viewing websites is slow and requires patience.

AMCA Membership - The requirement that you have an AMCA membership to post messages on the forum is good because you can weed out people that might not be into antique motorcycles. However, it is kind of a bummer, when you are not a member and would like to participate. After all, most people who arrive at the forum are there because of an interested in the subject, whether they are members or not.

Social Life - Being in the computer business myself, and having moved to a new city, it is natural to use the web in my daily life. Looking to make some antique motorcycle buddies in Austin, I rely on the web to find bike events, and get in touch with like-minded people to ride with. Not to mention all the parts I have bought and sold via the web. The Internet can open wonderful doors! When I lived in Seattle I participated in the Evergreen Chapter of the AMCA, and had many friends I rode with. So, if you are already well connected and in a club, the Internet is not as important for socializing.

In the end though, I am sure that participation in this forum will increase. It is because of this forum, and the AMCA articles on the Evergreen Chapter on the web, that I renewed my membership!
            Cheers, Patrice

Comment

I'll keep you updated with evergreen pictures. Karen puts out a thick newsletter! She does a GREAT job! As do others. Hummmmm.....maybe I'll get a free meal for that one. Hee-hee.

I've checked this forum over 56K dial-up. It zips right along.

It is growing ---slowly. I'm very happy when I see folks reaching out for answers and getting feedback. As we all know - sometimes it's the little things. A problem that you may be having could have a very simple solution from someone that has already been there - and can take the time to respond. It's also real nice to sometimes find an answer to a question that's already been asked.

The club has members from different backgrounds and different levels of knowledge. Your question may be the same others are pondering. Just ask!

Comment

Grave

Originally posted by rickgeo
                The real reason is most of our members have been around since dues were five bucks a year & the only computer was a univac!! By the way, whats this powerpoint thing all about??

RICKGEO

Oh well call em the way I see em.Sorry about your mis-interpertation.Example go to any active motorcycle site & you will see.
                Pete

Comment

Re: Low Activity Volume

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWasson
                  [B]Many of my friends (even old motorcycle riders and riders of old motorcycles) claim they have no time for internet stuff. I, on the other hand, only had 2 World Series games this past week, scuba diving on Sunday, and a court appearance all morning yesterday (I am the lawyer, not a party), plus a volunteer board meeting at lunchtime, my daugher's soccer practice. No wonder I have time to send a reply to your query.)

We need to make it fun to participate, such as by offering prizes and incentives (see my post called Antique Motorcyclist Forum to win your prize).

Roy
                  Can relate I am a Doc with abusy personal life aswell.
                  Pete ]

Comment

PARTICIPATION on SITE

I have been reading the post on lack of participation..and although I do not have an answer ...I do know of a MC SITE that you can actually get lots of tech advice and answers to problems...it is a YAMAHA 650 SITE..CHECK IT OUT..IT REALLY WORKS WELL ...beside my BELOVED panheads 49/50 /63.. I have always liked this particular JAPENESE model and I am restoring a 1974 tx right now for my bro-in-law. The site is www.xs650garage.com The AMCA site should strive for this type of partipation..especially in the helping the new members...oldpan

Comment

cycle web sites

Old Pan
                      I agree not takeing anything away from the AMC hopefully
                      in time we will have more interaction.Another site I enjoy
                      and others may,K1200LT.net.BTW good luck with your current
                      restoration project.
                      Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X