Origin of the title "Easy Rider"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the title "Easy Rider"

Anyone know from whom, P. Fonda, D. Hopper and T. Southern borrowed the name for their film?
    Joplin's first album with the Holding Co., Side 2, as I remember.

Easy rider was an old (southern?) term for a working girl's boyfriend/husband/pimp. Since he didn't have to work, he was getting an "easy ride". It probably just sounded like a good title for a motorcycle movie and the carefree lifestyles were similar.

Comment

I've seen the phrase "easy riding" to describe motorcycles way back in the pioneer years 1901-1910 -- maybe even in a Harley-Davidson brochure describing the 1907 spring fork but I'd have to double check that to make sure.

Like everything else in the American motorcycle world there are usually early precedents for just about everything, often originating back in the 1890s bicycle craze.

It's a great long enduring tradition indeed and far far older than '60s biker flicks or Life magazine staged photos which is why the early stuff is so interesting...

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

Copied from a website about blues music:

Blues-språket, del 13 (Fra Bluesman Harrys websider):

c c rider/easy rider

The easy rider, also known as see see rider or c c rider, is a blues metaphor for the sexual partner. Originally it referred to the guitar hung on the back of the traveling bluesman. The word easy has different meanings for the female and male lover: applied to a woman it is an expression of admiration, but applied to a male it usually carries the meaning of reckless and unfaithful.

According to Alex Washburn: "In one Alan Lomax' folk song collections it says that the abbreviation "C.C." means "Cavalry Corporal" and that they had no female soldiers at that time (19th century). Now the conclusion from this fact was that the singer or the original songwriter must have been a gay... Well, in my opinion the songwriter even could be a woman singing this song to her soldier lover. Anyway, the author then said that "C.C.Rider" became "See See Rider" and "Easy Rider" because of prudery...".

Southern Louisiana's John "JohnnyB" Bradford says: "An easy rider is the husband or significant other of a ***** - thus the name. He doesn't work or pay for sex. It's his easily.

This phrase can be found in:
        Big Bill Broonzy, C C Rider (1) & C C Rider (2), Ma Rainey, Jelly Bean Blues & See See Rider
        Mississippi John Hurt, See See Rider, Bessie Smith, Rocking Chair Blues

Comment

I just found a ref. for above. And I can see how all the other suggestion could have grown/morphed out of this expression.

From what I found an "easy rider" was a term given to a jockey that was a sure bet. A winning jockey irregardless of the horse.

I would guess southern orgin, maybe 1880s? Vaudville shows?

Alot of earily M/C terms came from the ponys.

Nat lib of Congress:
          I wonder where my easy rider's gone?; Hard luck racetrack story. 1913
          Brooks, Shelton
          OTHER TITLES
          First line: Miss Susie Johnson is as crazy as can be
          Chorus: I wonder where my easy rider's gone today
          (a woman looking to pick a winner in the race)

Sooooo... If your running traffic cross country in your gas tank. I can see how it would apply as an appropriate title for the movie.

It would be fun to get Fonda, Hopper or lauren out for the Napa Valley run in 2004. I'm sure we could make arrangements for bikes. Even BMWs if need be. Maybe Leno and his crew? Jessie James on his new Indian from Kiwi? We could use some additional press coverage. Looks like it's gonna be a big turn out.

Comment

Working...
          X