World's Oldest Running Harley in Milwaukee and Davenport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Oldest Running Harley in Milwaukee and Davenport

Did any of you guys make the Milwaukee celebration? Or Davenport? I did both and had a great time. One of the high points was linking up with Bruce, Joe, Calvin, and Walt when they came down from Manitowac after crossing Lake Michigan on the ferry and their ride down to the Juneau Avenue factory on a 1905 single, 1911 twin, and 1915 twin Harley-Davidsons and chase vehicle (along with mag editor R.S. who also had caught up with them -- and they were hard to catch!)

To see those early "pedal-to-start" 1905 & 1911 Harleys zipping around the old red brick Harley factory on Juneau Avenue and then up the block to the corner of 38th and Highland where H-D, Inc. had a replica of the original woodshed (across the street from where the real one stood) was very very fun! Watching that 1905 Harley (1905 motor/later frame) in action made it much easier to understand why the first Harleys took off so quickly on the marketplace (starting in 1905 -- not 1903). Harley and Davidson really developed a superior machine for the time with a "flexible drive" (adjustable belt tightener), sturdy loop frame most likely copped from the 1903 Merkel, excellent styling (yep), and a good-sized engine probably obtained with mucho Ole Evinrude help. In theory I had concluded all that stuff already in my new book, but seeing the bike in action and hearing Bruce saying how RIDEABLE it is really drove it all home to my great personal satisfaction.

Then, the next day, we went back to the factory and hung around some more. LOTS of people wanted photos of their flashy new bikes with those old machines, and once again the 1905 stole the show. It was so cool looking (no fooling) that it put all the other machines there IN THE SHADE. The 1905 drew your eye like a magnet. There is something almost magical about that little bike. And it didn't hurt that Bruce was wearing a derby hat (provided by Rick M.) so that he looked a lot like Walter Davidson zooming around!

So who then should show up but John Harley! (See Dave Edward's editorial in the October "Cycle World"). Well, we decided, let's ride over to the Milwaukee cemetery where "grandfather" is buried (the original William S. Harley) and pay our respects. We did: with some additional people: my brother Tom (73FLH), Mark J. (38EL), a fellow with a sidecar whose name I didn't catch, a fellow from Colorado riding a Kawasaki, and led by John Harley (98 Road Glide) and Bruce on the '05. At the cemetery it was nice and cool and shady and I asked John if it would okay it they could push the old bikes up on the grave to take some photos. He said, "I think grandfather would like that!" So they did and it was very fitting to see the 1905 single and the early twins next to the big Harley family headstone (which incidently is "gray" granite).

Hope my photos turn out!

That afternoon late we fought our way thru Milwaukee rush hour traffic and rode out to M.L.'s west of Milwaukee and saw some more nice antique Harleys. His place was pleasant and countryish after being in the city. Mist was rising along the river bottoms after dark where there are many old Indian effigy mounds and you can almost feel the ancient spirits flitting about. Then it was a nice warm evening ride back to Racine.

Next day it was on to Davenport via Madison...

http://www.atthecreation.com/

It's fascinating to watch, behind the pulley, as the left crankshaft makes loping revolutions on a pre-teen motor. The first word I associate is "blacksmith shop".

Comment

Davenport 1905

Saw the 1905 on Friday at Davenport before we departed for Milwaukee on Saturday. It was at Jim Long's booth and had quite a crowd about it. I'm sorr I did not see you Herb. I received your book in the mail today so you will have to autograph it in person some time here in the Rapids. We spent most of the 100th in oconomowoc and had a great time. we had close to 200 bikes in the antique parade through downtown Oconomowoc. It was a sight! FatDog

Comment

Good stuff Herb- look forward to seeing photos.

Comment

Re: Davenport 1905

Originally posted by B. Rodencal
          Saw the 1905 on Friday at Davenport before we departed for Milwaukee on Saturday. It was at Jim Long's booth and had quite a crowd about it. I'm sorr I did not see you Herb. I received your book in the mail today so you will have to autograph it in person some time here in the Rapids. We spent most of the 100th in oconomowoc and had a great time. we had close to 200 bikes in the antique parade through downtown Oconomowoc. It was a sight! FatDog
          I missed you there by a day. I rode out Friday and was at the Davenport Meet Saturday. We'll will connet somehow, sometime...

Yes, I heard about the Oconomowoc antique bike parade and would have been there if I had not gone to Davenport. People there said it was the best thing they had experienced during the entire 100th celebration, and that was purely a local event I believe.

I also got to meet the guys at Oconomowoc H-D that next week. Nice people there who like the old bikes too...

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
            Good stuff Herb- look forward to seeing photos.
            I'll post some photos of the running '05 when I get them back...

It just might also be the world's coolest Harley-Davidson too -- including their new ones.

There's no mystery for me anymore why Harley-Davidson succeeded.

Correct the messed up time sequence of early events and the faulty "official" history and then compare that 1905 "Model 1" machine to everything else on the market and it's plain to me that this was the motorcycle that riders had been dreaming of and waiting for.

After that it took until 1909 for Indian to catch up!

Comment

A Oldest Runner at the Gravesite of Bill Harley

Quiet around here lately. Hope everyone is out riding....

Here's a photo of the World's Oldest Running Harley-Davidson motorcycle at the gravesite of William S. Harley. The man on the left is John E. Harley, Jr., the grandson of William S. Harley. Bike ("Tommy") is believed to have a 1905 motor and a 1908-ish frame. Bruce (right) would know the details.

Unfortunately my camera let me down and most of my photos didn't turn out. Luckily a few did. Definitely time for a new camera. I've been nursing this old thing along for years...
              Attached Files

Comment

A great shot! Thanks for posting.
                I was talking with a guy the other day, and he quoted your book. So there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
                  A great shot! Thanks for posting.
                  I was talking with a guy the other day, and he quoted your book. So there you go.
                  That book was a lot of very hard work and I thank you for mentioning that somebody read it....

Okay, now that we've seen a 1905 Harley visiting Bill Harley's grave, let's see Joe's 1911 Harley-D twin at the same historic spot.

"I think that grandfather would like that." -- John E. Harley, Jr.
                  Attached Files

Comment

M-m-m..yeah... it's nice. Looks like it's ridden once in a while too.

Comment

Working...
                    X