Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1903 HD REPLICA ....Full Size and Running motor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1903 HD REPLICA ....Full Size and Running motor...

Has anyone seen the 1903 HD Replica...Full Size motorcycle with....Running Engine on e'bay??...No not the totally fake one from a couple months ago.....Check this one out....e'bay #2433614770. Has about 2 and half days left on auction. Don't know what to make of it, but it is pretty cool!... Hrdly-Dangrs

Pretty cool stuff.... I wonder if you found Pete Gagan's secret ebay name and line of business. I always thought it would be a neat project to build a replica 1903. Looks like someone beat me to it. I would think a H-D dealer would love to have one of these in their showroom floor. If I was rich enough I would even consider bidding on it. I think one of our Wisconsin AMCA members need to check it out up close and personal. Hows about it Fatdog?

Comment

Wow it looks real clean! I had heard of this project, I am not sure who is doing it. Union Grove is a solid 3 1/2 hrs. from here so I won't be heading there tonight! If I go to the Woodstock Illinois swap meet on Sunday I might detour there if the owner is will to show it off, I'll take a digital and ask some questions. I am sure the builder has some intesting tales of the building. Maybe Rick would add it to the Mag. FatDog

Comment

That is kinda neat. I'm curious what he wants for it. A twin racer repro would be fun to ride hard -without fear.

Comment

Lobby Bike Copy

I had heard about his project, but didn't know it was done yet. My brother (who talked to the builder) said that Harley-Davidson let him take measurements off of the "lobby bike" -- the one on display at Juneau Avenue in the lobby (what H-D calls Serial Number One -- the 1996 version re-done by Ray Schlee).

This looks like a very fun bike to own -- and ride! Thankfully the guy is honest and not pimping it off as the real thing...

How ironic that people are now making copies of a machine that never existed! That is, the only thing that Harley and Davidson managed to cob together in 1903 was a wimpy little motor put into a pedal bicycle frame -- not this advanced machine that was almost certainly BETTER than anything else available for sale when the first Harley-Davidsons were actually placed on the market in 1905.

The "real" Harley-Davidson of 1903 was actually the Merkel motorcycle!

The entire rather nutty and fascinating story is now known and told:

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

BILL! It would be very cool if you could swing by his place, on your travels, get a few shots and cobble a brief story together. That IS news worthy stuff! And hell ya! You bet it would get into the magazine.

I don't think Pete uses ebay. He just stops and thinks for a second about the global inventory of who has what, and the thousands of conversations he's had. --- then picks up the phone. His knowledge is broad - which is really interesting. If you ever get to sit down with the guy and eat. It's hard to come up with questions that stump him.

Hey Pete!

Comment

ebay replica

I'm guessing he set the reserve at 20 K.

Comment

Wow! $17,000 worth of bids and NO SALE!! I wonder what kind of money the owner/builder has into the bike?? Other then his Labor and maybe $3500.00-$4500.00 to have the bottom end cast and crank/cam ground, do you think it cost all of $10.000 to finish?? I'd be interested in seeing what amount of Funds it took to build it. Maybe he'll re-list it. Course, maybe he's just testing the waters to see what it can pull!?... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

What kind of money, labor?

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs
                  Wow! $17,000 worth of bids and NO SALE!! I wonder what kind of money the owner/builder has into the bike?? Other then his Labor and maybe $3500.00-$4500.00 to have the bottom end cast and crank/cam ground, do you think it cost all of $10.000 to finish?? I'd be interested in seeing what amount of Funds it took to build it. Maybe he'll re-list it. Course, maybe he's just testing the waters to see what it can pull!?... Hrdly-Dangrs
                  Considering monetary inflation between 1905 and now which is considerable, those first Harleys sold for around $200 and they were hand-built too. So what would $200 in 1905 dollars be worth today? That would seem to be its rough value. Of course now you've got to add the yuppie ebay affluence effect too.

Interesting to consider in this context the "official" story of the first Harleys being made in a 10x15 ft backyard shed without electric service by guys half the age of the current Harley owner! Guys with full-time jobs, little capital, and no machinery of their own! And if the "official" story is believed, they created and built the first 3 bikes in a few MONTHS time in 1903 and they turned out to be superior to anything else on the market!

I wonder how many YEARS it took to build this replica?

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

Anybody turn up any new info on this bike??...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs
                      Anybody turn up any new info on this bike??...Hrdly-Dangrs
                      No, but I have the guy's name and phone number....

Comment

Working...
                      X