Cad spoke Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad spoke Restoration

I read in the AMCA once about steel wooling cad spokes and wiping a rag soaked with aluminum paint on it to "blend" with the orginal cad plating. I'm building a rigid Pan that I would like to look un-restored (except for the new paint and various appurtenances that I was forced to buy new). Anyone know how to make new chrome look used? Steel wool and dirt or fine sand as a rubbing compound?

Best way to facilitate the ageing process.First seal or plug
    unchromed areras then dig abig hole in the ground before
    it freezes and trow the chrome into the hole.The dirt you tookout needs to be mixed 50-50 with sand for breathing purposes
    then recover.Check status every month until satisfied.
    Pete

Comment

No way!? Way?

Comment

Dampness+oxygen=Oxidization. Which will eventually creap under the chrome and lift it. If you were to nick the surface (direction of rock chips) this would produce spots. This is why guys suggest soaking in oil as it seals up any surface or edge imperfections. Stops oxidization. Buring it - I think has a double purpose. Part will have a less likely chance of going missing over time. In the north west most guys do open air - during the monsoon season.

Clean it with acetone/brake cleaner before you bury it.

Comment

If you want to just knock the (mirror) shine off of chrome. make a paste from a-jax or comet. rub a dub.

Comment

Yes, that's it. I just want to wipe the "re-pop sparkle" off the thin-veneer of chrome. Maybe more off the edges where wear would first show up. All this without be "caught". Points off, if I attempt to "antique" it and it shows. I'll practice the method on those "new-chrome" star hub covers that came with my wheels. I ordered Parkerized stars to change them out. Ajax® will work, but to be thrifty, I'll think I'll use Comet®, since we have some on hand. Can't use Bon-Ami® though, their baby-chick trademark says "never left a scratch".

Comment

Working...
            X