Paint Spec for 74" Jugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Spec for 74" Jugs

Does anybody have a good recommendation for painting the cylinders/fins on a Chief engine? (or any other cast jug for that matter).

Best solution I've heard is to sandblast 'em, machine 'em as needed, then put 'em in the oven to bake out moisture before painting with regular gloss black krylon.

Curious to know if anybody has a solution for higher heat dissipation.

I bought an Eastwood powder coating system this year and am very happy with the results all around. They have a high temperature coating in black and silver. These are "siliconized".

After the prep by bead blasting, I wiped the cyclinders several times with SEM degreaser/dewaxer. THe powder is easy to apply, and it cures in a 400 f oven. I got a free oven out of the local paper.

All the parts I did came out nice. Unfortunately, I only have about 1 hour on the cyclinders, so cannot give you a long term report yet.

Dan

Comment

cylinder paint

i have used a silver on my 49 servicar cylinders it is sold by
      ww graingers it is a industural hi temp paint. they sell it in black and silver.you must bead blast cylinders then brush on one coat then bake at 400 deg.then after cool apply a second coat and rebake i have the silver on my 49 for four years and no flakes or rust a very good paint.joe j.

Comment

With the powder coating, is there any noticeable increase in engine temperature? I would think the powder coating would tend to insulate the jugs and reduce the efficiency of the fins.

The product from Grainger sounds like it's fairly proven. Did you bake the jugs in a regular cooking oven?

Comment

cylinders

hi brain i had picked up an old junk oven from the newspaper and baked them in it. it does stink a little but the finish was perfect not to flat or to glossy just right.
          joe

Comment

Working...
          X