Bring a bike to a meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring a bike to a meet

It's getting late in this year's season, but some people are getting quite lazy about bringing a bike to the meets. Just bring something, running or not. It is our duty to give our friends with the capabilities to bring a bike and don't, a very hard time. Show it, ride it (if you can); and let everybody enjoy it.

I was all prepared to bring my "Fossil" knuck to Davenport to tease the Period Modified promotors,.. but my vendor pass clearly states that no motorcycle traffic will be allowed in the vendor area. The whole Meet is filled with vendors.

I guess its my Schwinn or nothing.

Comment

A Schwinn is always a good choice, especially if you have a Varoom (Mattel?) motor on it.

Comment

I think the best way to get people to bring their machines to a meet is to have everybody build their own machine and change the name of the club by adding another "A" to read Antique Appreciators M/C of America. There aren't enough antique machines to go around anymore. I had a call yesterday from a "pilgrim" in Washington state. He was looking for an original Knucklehead motor. He complained about the 8 grand price of a motor if he could find one and I told him that unless it was built right, he'd have to rebuild it and by the time he 'rasseled and hasseled with it he'd somehow manage to put 8 grand in it before it was over; and without papers, he'd have to "green tag" the frame up in WA just like we'd have to "blue tag" a frame down here in Calif. I told him he had a choice. He could continue to search and spend time and money looking for what every other Knuckle head in or out of the country was also dilligently searching out, or... he could be one of the first rightous and courageous few...and order a 74" Knuckle motor built from Tedd and get a year guarantee on it; and build a machine that only few could tell wasn't actually antique. The V-Twin cases have a blank serial number plate as well as a stamped real serial number on the case in small letters near the generator, so you could stamp "46FL2390" on the blank left plate and have your real factory VIN number over on the right case to show the law when you got pulled over. I told him that would limit his "searching" down to only having to look for an M-74B or M-75 Linkert carburetor. Less stress involved with that and my advise to all that want to ride the range on a Knuckle.

Comment

The perceived difficulty is dependant on the circles or groups that you run with. If you want it - you can find it. And yes, quality costs money. Save your money and look at large auctions. Original stuff holds it's value.

The insurance companies may be clamping down on people putting around on the field. It's not a small meet anymore. This is not something that is policed. It's a general courtesy. Card board in the spokes is very effective varooom thunder.

Comment

Working...
          X