Linkert carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert carb

Does anyone know which carb is correct for a 1962 Sportster? I've heard a DC-10 or DC-12. Which years are for each. I've also been told that the DC-7 was on Shovelheads. True or false?
    Thanks, Rob

Sorry Robert, I don't have an answer to your question. I'm still looking thru some of my old literature. Anyone out there have a parts book for this year??.... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

DC Carbs

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Does anyone know which carb is correct for a 1962 Sportster? I've heard a DC-10 or DC-12. Which years are for each. I've also been told that the DC-7 was on Shovelheads. True or false?
      Thanks, Rob
      The 1st model was the DC-1. used in 57-8? Afterwards was the DC-2 Notice the bowl is on the opposite side. It was used on the Servi Car. The DC-7 & 10 ---Sportster. I would assume that a DC-3,4,5,6,7,8,9.. were also ok. The DC-12 was NOT used on Sportsters. Only for the 66 Shovelhead.

Comment

Originally posted by panheadron View Post
        The 1st model was the DC-1. used in 57-8? Afterwards was the DC-2 Notice the bowl is on the opposite side. It was used on the Servi Car. The DC-7 & 10 ---Sportster. I would assume that a DC-3,4,5,6,7,8,9.. were also ok. The DC-12 was NOT used on Sportsters. Only for the 66 Shovelhead.
        Additional info: The DC-12 only, has a larger venturi. The reason? 66 Shovelhead has a larger engine size. All other DC versions have the same carb body(except the DC-2 for servi-car). Their venturi size is the same. They are not removeable-all one piece casting. The difference was changing the jet size, & modifying the inlet valve. Any change denotes a different model stamping.
        I ran a DC-1 with a main jet size of #9. way to rich! Fouling plugs! It is a wonder that the jet size was reduced to a #1, then raised again to a #4.
        I run the #4. Fine. The only fault on these carbs is they run lean off idle. You'll find it spits a bit untill it really warms up. I'm still trying to fix that problem. Any leads on that would help.

Comment

PanheadRon!

Any good tips on how to make them yellow again?

Seriously,

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I believe the DC-10 is what you need for a '62. The DC-12 is correct for 1963-65 XLH and XLCH Sportsters.

The 1966 FLH used the DC-7.
            Last edited by Sportster Jerry; 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I out and checked my 65 XLCH. It's a DC-12. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Dc-10 & 12

Thanks guys for making me straight on the DC carb dilema. According to linkertcarbs.com, they list the DC-12 strictly for 66 Shovelheads!
                I emailed a couple of guys who were selling their 66 Shovels on ebay. They both claimed that the carb was original. Both had DC-7s!
                According to the shop manual, the DC-7 ran a #45 jet. The largest size. The DC-6,10,&12 ran the #4 jet(smaller). The DC-1 ran a #9. A large jet. You would assume that a DC-1 was used on a 1957.
                Thanks for the help. Now the decision,; a DC-10 or 12? I have both. The venturi sizes are considerably different! The engine stays the same. There must have been a reason why H.D. switched from the 10 to the 12? If you had the choice, which should you run???

Comment

Hi. I found some more correct answers to the DC carb. First, all the DC models except the DC-2 had the same size venturis. A DC-2 was only used on the 45 servi-car. Smaller motor, smaller venturi, & a small main jet(#20).
                  Some present day owners have a carb with a larger venturi. These have been bored out back in the days of the backyard racers!! Again,the #1,6,7,10,&12 were all the same size.
                  The only changes were to the main jet size, & the inlet needle valve opening. Any change denotes a model# change.
                  I found an old specs chart: DC-1 57-60 Early Style for 57 & 58; Later Style for 59 & 60 (XL)
                  DC-1L 1958 XL
                  DC-2 59-65 Servicar
                  DC-6 1961 XLH,XLCH
                  DC-7 1966 FL,FLH
                  DC-10 1962-63 1962-mid 63 XLH,XLCH
                  DC-12 1963-65 mid 1963-65 XLH,XLCH
                  Hope this clarifies a few areas. Any comments, please reply or post.
                  Last edited by panheadron; 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X