Hot Wire Smoking hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Wire Smoking hot

I had to repair my Universal Ignation Switch and in doing so I used electral numbers to put on the wires before I disconnected them from the terminal. Well I replaced the Isolator plate that set on top of the two post that the screws goes through. well I replaced the one brass Rollers and Im thing I got this Wrong ?? or maybe there is something else wrong ? I i connected the battery the horn started to blow i disconnected the wire to the horn then I turned the Ignition Switch and this is when the hot wire started to smoke and burn.I disconected the battery and cried. My Voltmeter can test Continuity and Resistance However can I get some help on How to use it on the 48 Indian. I have a Repair and Overhaul Manual 74 that I used. Thanks for any help that you can give me.Kenton

Wow man -bummer! From what I can figure, when the horn shorted out and blew I would have removed what ever you did to find the short. Is something shorting on the ign. switch itself? Are the wires leading into it shrink wraped?

This is difficult stuff to diagnose blind. Anyone else?

A fellow had a melt down on RRun also. Find the short before you replace the wire.

Comment

no shrink wrap or bare wires touching. The 3 Brass Rollers and the 1 phenolic and the isolator plate was all that I replaced.The horn was shorting out before I replaced the parts in the switch. Good point to make Ill check.

Comment

Addon

ok I checked the Switch for Continuity and is as follows Off= Continuity on 8 and 3 . I switch and have it on 1 ,3,8 . L and 7,3,8. and P I have continuity on 2,3,4,8.Which looks ok ??.Now I have two extra mounted light up front with a toggle switch for each and I have them connected to termal 1. the finder light is on 2 and the rest is connected as a 348 late model. So now for the hard part the wiring any Ideas on this ? A simple continuity wont tell me if a wire is totching metal will it ? maybe if I hook up a 9 volt battery to the hot and ground might tell ? anyone have a Idea? I will deleate this message soon so please respond.Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X