Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radical New Book on the Birth of Harley-Davidson - Plus a Big Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radical New Book on the Birth of Harley-Davidson - Plus a Big Thanks!

I’m the author of a new book: At the Creation: Myth, Reality, and the Origin of the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle, 1901-1909.

This work contains a radical new interpretation of the beginnings of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle. It reveals in step-by-step fashion how the true story got messed up by the antics of early Harley advertising guys. A mess that began in 1908 and puzzled even old gents like William H. Davidson (1905-1992), Motor Company president for almost 30 years! You can read more about the book at:
    http://www.atthecreation.com/

The book is being printed now and will be available in August. It’s a limited edition from the bucks-strapped Wisconsin Historical Society and I don’t know if there will be any more.

I’ve written other books about Harley-Davidson, but this one is different. It’s not only the exciting tale of Harley-Davidson’s formative years and upstart rival to Indian, but also a detective story that blows off the doors of what we grew up believing was true about Harley’s beginnings. Stuff that I formerly believed was gospel turned out to be “myth.” What’s amazing is that nobody pulled these threads together before to expose this bogus history. As a result this same false information is still circulating today and widely believed even as Harley-Davidson, Inc. gets ready to celebrate its “100 Year” anniversary in 2003. I guarantee this book will be an eye-opener for them too!

There is also a debt I’d like to acknowledge to several club members who had critical input to this work. Without them this book could not have been written. Combined with my own research, their knowledge and support helped create something that I believe to be unique in motorcycle literature.

One member provided a long lost Motor Company document that blew open the hidden truth about what Harley-Davidson really built in the years 1903 and 1904.

Another club member saw key features that verified in a 1912 photo (Negative 599) the first prototype Harley-Davidson motorcycle. He traveled to get important court records and also discovered a new photo that dates to 29 April 1905 and today is the earliest photograph of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle yet discovered (if you know of an older photo than this, please tell!)

A third member brought to my attention the almost certain connection between Ole Evinrude’s single-cylinder engine of 1903 and Bill Harley’s first 25-ci engine of 1904. He also provided key information concerning model year differences found on early Harley-Davidson motorcycles still in existence today -- critical stuff when you consider some of the extravagant claims being made.

Still other club members allowed me access to their early motorcycle publications and research files, or else dug through them and provided additional information by phone and by mail. They also put me in touch with other club members and sometimes even put me up for the night during my gypsy wanderings to find new information over the past 15 years -- all done by motorcycle. I sincerely thank them all.

I don’t know if it will happen, but it would be great to continue the story from 1910 to around 1918 as the American motorcycle industry heated up to fever pitch with so many wonderful makes battling for survival in the marketplace and on the race-track. Sadly, most of these brands were just brief flashes on the horizon and then they were gone. Yet they all helped lay the foundation that Indian, Harley-Davidson, and Excelsior carried on and that Harley-Davidson still carries on today with the traditional air-cooled 45-degree American V-twin engine. Thankfully there is also the Antique Motorcycle Club of America to help preserve that history and protect the integrity of that great tradition.

I added a link to the AMCA on my book's webpage.

Thanks,
    Herbert Wagner
    http://www.atthecreation.com/

Ordered mine today. Write more books.

Comment

Looks like a very interesting book on a subject a lot of us here have a vested interest in. I, like Kirk, will likely order one also. I look forward to celebrating the 100th next year, just me, the knucklehead and a bottle of root beer in the workshop. I think I will spend Labor Day in Davenport. The web site info was interesting. I just wonder how Harley Davidson corporate would view this book? When confronted with documentation are they refuting the information or are they just as interested as we are? Curious how they view this book.

Jim M.
      Tulsa Ok
      46 knuckle

Comment

Originally posted by k.perry
        Ordered mine today. Write more books.
        Thanks.

I like the idea of taking on about a decade at a time. I already have 1930-41 VL/EL story covered in a previous book, and now the 1901-1909 time frame. Other periods that really interest me are 1910-1918; 1919-1929 (including how the Peashooter and Two-Cam morphed into that pre-Knucklehead Two-Cam/OHV); and from WWII thru the Knucklehead/Panhead transition up into the 50s. I have some great interviews from old factory guys who told everything. Doubt if I'll accomplish that much...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim M The web site info was interesting. I just wonder how Harley Davidson corporate would view this book? When confronted with documentation are they refuting the information or are they just as interested as we are? Curious how they view this book.

Jim M.
          Tulsa Ok
          46 knuckle [/B]
          THAT is the big unknown question. Nobody at H-D has read it yet, just portions of the complete mind-blowing story. But At the Creation is Harley-Davidson's very own early history. It truely belongs to them and the living Harleys and the living Davidsons. I was just the vessel through which the information revealed itself. Early on in the process (around 2000) I hoped that I could work closely with the company on this project and merge their findings and mine seamlessly together. (I had a total plan). But it didn't work out that way -- although I fought hard for it and failed.

But like somebody inside H-D recently told me, it couldn't have been done inside the company. It had to be done by an outsider. That is probably true, although it still saddens me because it's THEIR history and not mine that I now hold in trust. I was punished for being a heretic, and yet they helped me too. Also, HDI (the modern company) did grant permission at the very last munute to use the critical Negative 599 image and I take that to be a hopeful sign.

For me, it came down to writing the most truthful and honest account of H-D's early history based on the best available evidence. That included charting and exposing the early advertising hype and myth that later became accepted as true history. It was an agonizing yet wildly exciting process of discovery. It turned out that Harley's early years contained a much more interesting story than anyone dreamed of. Yet exactly what you'd expect from a rowdy motorcycle company trying to make a name for itself challenging the Big Boy on the block: Indian.

This was a historical detective process figuring it all out. By luck and chance and good friends, critical evidence turned up exactly when it was needed most. Like Arthur Davidson said: "It just growed." Little by little I realized maybe there was a potential book about Harley's amazing and rather crazy origin (good crazy that is). Then I had to find the right publisher...not an easy task.

There are many dedicated and intelligent people working for Harley-Davidson today. I think once they read this thing they will see the big picture and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. It also charts the way ahead for them in 2004, 2005, etc. In that respect I did them a favor.

Knuckleheads Forever!
          HW

Comment

Herbert,
            I can't wait to read the new book. I happen to be lucky enough to be friends with several of the remaining Harley folks you wrote about in your 30-41' book, (Erwin 'Erv' Martin- drives a Turbo yellow Dodge Stealth in his late 80's!, Herbert Nieman-91 still running wrecker calls! Thelma Fischer still makes it to church on sundays!) I've had most of them autograph their pictues in the book and can't wait until you can someday do the same for me! Thanks For the great reads! Bill Rodencal Wis. Rapids.

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words. There is alot in that 1930-41 book that was saved just in time. I'm glad to hear some of the old timers around the Rapids are still going strong.

If memory serves me correctly, there were six 1936 Knuckleheads sold in the Rapids that year. The dealer there, Don Fischer, must have thought there was something to that new model. If so, he was right!

Your message inspires me to stop in the Rapids again this summer on my way down or back to Milwaukee for a little more research. The early Knucklehead era continues to fascinate me. The rusty 1936EL chassis I had for years came out of the area.

HW

Comment

Knucklehead City.

A few weeks ago the local group assembled around 25 knucks from town for a reunion and group photo of sorts. I am waiting for copies! This town of 18,000 I believe has more Knucks per capita than any other town on Earth! If you pass through town be sure to tip me off ahead of time and we can make sure you get fed and toss back a few pints as well as a roof over your head if you need one. Bill Rodencal

Comment

Is that the group known as the "Knucklehead Company"?

How many 1936-1939 model ELs were present? A few I hope. That sure was good-looking bike.

Bill, watch out, I might take you up on that offer!

Comment

Club members (and others) in the Milwaukee area might be interested in a talk I'm giving about Harley-Davidson and a preview of the new book this coming Sunday (20 July 2003), at 2 pm. The location is at the Milwaukee County Historical Society, 910 N. Old World Third, in downtown Milwaukee.

Admission free.

It marks the opening of an exhibit of some vintage Harley-Davidsons that will be on display thru September, entitled: "Workhorses of Commerce, Harley-Davidson Delivery Vehicles." Bikes on display will include:

1962 Model AH Topper and Model LA Sidecar;
                    1941 Model FL with 1941 Model M Package Truck;
                    1939 Model G Servi-Car,
                    1930 Model VL with 1928 Model MC Package Truck.

Hope you can make it!

HW

Comment

Hi Herbert,

I live in Ohio, so I won't be able to make it to Milwaukee on Sunday for your talk. One of these days though I look forward to meeting you in person. I've corresponded with you ever since I saw one of your articles in the "American Rider" magazine. Since that time you and I have shared our thoughts and ideas, as the old evidence came to light. You're right, as the facts were discovered, our concept of history's actual events went through a process of analysis that has concluded with the content of the new book......"At The Creation".

Probably almost as exciting as being there, was the time I discovered the earliest known picture of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle..........or the information I uncovered in the court case in the National Archives.

Those were pretty exciting days.........emails flying back and forth a dozen times a day.......questioning each other's thoughts and offering ideas.......

So after you go to Milwaukee in August for the 100th(99th model year), I hope you consider coming down to the Antique Meet in Davenport.......

and to quote the author of the previous posting.....

"Hope you can make it!"

We'd all like to meet you !!!!!

(My alias is Earl, but my real name is Rick Morsher)

Comment

I agree! That would be great. Bring a stack of books to Dav. meet. Book a vendor space. Signed copies. Maybe even set you up with a little talk one afternoon after a tech session or something. I think alot of guys would really enjoy that. It would be fun to hear some of your stories.

Comment

Herbert;
                          Can't wait to read the book. I'm going to email you a picture of my new 99th Anniversary bike. I get numerous questions about why I put "99th Anniversary" on the windshield and I tell them to do the math...it's either a 101st or a 99th edition ??? Either way Harley can't count. Thanks for the true story!
                          Louie

Comment

Originally posted by Earl
                            Hi Herbert,

I live in Ohio, so I won't be able to make it to Milwaukee on Sunday for your talk. One of these days though I look forward to meeting you in person. I've corresponded with you ever since I saw one of your articles in the "American Rider" magazine. Since that time you and I have shared our thoughts and ideas, as the old evidence came to light. You're right, as the facts were discovered, our concept of history's actual events went through a process of analysis that has concluded with the content of the new book......"At The Creation".

Probably almost as exciting as being there, was the time I discovered the earliest known picture of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle..........or the information I uncovered in the court case in the National Archives.

Those were pretty exciting days.........emails flying back and forth a dozen times a day.......questioning each other's thoughts and offering ideas.......

So after you go to Milwaukee in August for the 100th(99th model year), I hope you consider coming down to the Antique Meet in Davenport.......

and to quote the author of the previous posting.....

"Hope you can make it!"

We'd all like to meet you !!!!!

(My alias is Earl, but my real name is Rick Morsher)
                            Earl,

Those were some nice things you said and I agree with you. Without the findings you made of the oldest known Harley-Davidson photo (29 April 1905) and the court case material that is beyond dispute, some of the mysteries would not have been answered nor the fakes exposed. I thank you again for your help. Those were indeed exciting days of discovery and had to be followed to their logical conclusion no matter what the consequence in order to uncover the Truth. That our hunt for the facts threatened old established myths was inevitable and a good thing for everyone who REALLY loves Harley-Davidson. It's all in the new book. Well, mostly. Hopefully new discoveries will be made to fill in the remaining blanks.

As to Davenport, I am thinking of leaving Milwaukee early and going this year. On Thursday I hope to be on Juneau Avenue outside the Harley-Davidson Red Brick Factory where some new history promises to be made. Then Friday I think I'll saddle up and ride to Davenport, camp out that night north of town in the "wilds" around the Wasippicon River, then come to the AMCA meet for Saturday. I'll be riding my BMW and wearing a "scribble twin" tee-shirt.

HW

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
                              I agree! That would be great. Bring a stack of books to Dav. meet. Book a vendor space. Signed copies. Maybe even set you up with a little talk one afternoon after a tech session or something. I think alot of guys would really enjoy that. It would be fun to hear some of your stories.
                              Since I'll be on my bike I might bring a few. But I'm really not much of a vendor. I should be. I hope to meet you guys, yes...

Comment

Working...
                              X