35 years rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 years rule

I wanted to reply and put in our two cents worth on changing the 35 year rule. The Dixie Chapter had a road run last weekend and I put the 35 year rule on the meeting agenda and stated that the National Board wanted our opinion on the matter. We had about 20 members from three different chapters in attendance and the vote was unanimous, all was in favor of NOT changing the rule. There was many comments such as, the club is growing every year so why change? And, the judging is a nightmare now especially with the late model bikes why change now?
    To be fair, I must admit that there mostly american bikes on the run. But I wanted to get this message out before the rule was voted on by the Board. I personnally believe we should not change to rule, one of the most rediculous things I know of is the 20 year antique rule that Harley-Davidson uses for their ride-in bike shows in Daytona. Next year Evo's will be antiques!!!
    Louie Hale
    Dixie Chapter

35 years rule

Were all the bikes on the road run you mention 35 years (or more) old? What was the year of the oldest?

Comment

Sometimes you have to stand back and take a good look at something to see its flaws. The 35 Year Rule does absolutely nothing in regard to keeping the bikes at our shows 'Antique'. Get together a dozen Members of our Club who own motorcycles from the Early 1900's thru 1968 and you'll likely get just as many different opinions as to what years constitute a TRUE Antique! Think about our bikes in relation to the automobile. Would you consider the Model T an 'Antique'? I think yes. Now would you consider a 1957 Chevy Nomad an 'Antique'? I think not. Especially as the Tri-5's (55-56-57) are always referred to as 'Classics', as are the early sixties cars. The Late sixties/early seventies are almost always referred to as Muscle Cars Era with anything newer just Modern or New. What's it got to do with our bikes?? Well. for one Styling cues, not to mention latest Materials and the latest manufacturing processes of their time, paint colors, use of chrome and so on. Our bikes are essentially made up of the same variables as the Auto Year(s). In my opinion, the 35 Year Rule does nothing other then perhaps act as a cut off date for Judging purposes. It does however hinder the process of free exchange of parts/bikes/literature needed for the restoration of the immediate incoming years of motorcycles at our own shows. The Evo motor will be considered an 'Antique' for all things including Judging in the AMCA within about 10 years. Louie, do you really think that's going to make the EVO a true 'Antique' just because it's now 35 Years Old?? Harleys' 20 Year Rule or Our own 35 Year Rule...The EVO will never be a true 'Antique'. Not in relation to the Time Period, Metallurgy and Manufacturing Techniques of early teens/20's Bikes.......at least not until we're all zooming 10 feet off the ground on Star Wars Speeder bikes!! It's time to re-think the 35 Year Rule.... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I was merely stating the opinion of all that was present at our road run. All AMCA members with antique bikes (35 years). If the rule gets changed, I think it should be becuase the membership wants it changed. As far as Evo being antiques in the AMCA, sure they will be ...in 2019. But in the eyes of Harley, who buy the way has trouble counting to 100, they will be antiques at the Harley ride in show in Daytona next year. Thanks.

Louie

Comment

Louie, Don't mind me, I'm just playing at "Devils Advocate". Just taking the side of those in favor of a 25 year (which includes myself), and trying to ruffle a few feathers to get some input from other Members on how they feel. As for me I think that the timing for it is right. Course there's a other Members who wish to keep the "Status Quo". Either way the vote goes, I'll still remain a Member and contribute what I can to the AMCA. I like Old Harley Knucklehead motorcyles as well as Norton Commando's from the Seventies Era!....Later... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
          X