Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100th anniversary-We missed it !!!!

Hi Everybody,

Just received my club magazine in the mail today, and could hardly wait to read the rest of that article about early Harley twins.

Good article !!!

But what caught my eye was on page 29, which was a reprint of an ad from November 7, 1912.

At the bottom of the ad is the statement...

"Producers of High-grade Motorcycles for Eleven Years"

Let's see now......1912, minus 11 years, is 1901 !!

We all missed the 100th anniversary !!!!!

What do you think about that?????

Hi Earl,

I am enjoying Part 2 of the H-D V-twin article too. I liked the part about how Harley-Davidson may have secretly maneuvered to change the course of a test route in 1910 so their single could beat the Indian and Merkel V-twins!

I liked that "scribble twin" sketch too. It is gen-u-whine from 1908. That would make a great tee-shirt.

Did you notice that last photo of the factory? How the various segments were identified? That was interesting too. I had never seen that explained before...

As to missing the 100th Anniversery "producing high-grade motorcycles (since 1901)" again we see the monkey-shines that started way way back. From this once again we know that it started a long time ago and the modern MoCo is probably confused too. What we don't know yet is how and why it started. The mystery of Harley-Davidson's TRUE origin...

Will that new book coming out by this same writer as the V-twin article explain all that stuff? I see that it is listed at UW-Press:

http://www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/books/2903.htm

Comment

Another error spotted....

Looking thru some 1921 Enthusiast mags yesterday and i spotted a photo in one issue that claimed to have been taken in 1906 and showing a 1905 model. But the 1905 model had a rigid fork and this one had a 1908 fork on it!

The only thing right was that the guy on the bike was Arthur Davidson.

How could Harley-Davidson have gotten so off the mark by the teens and 20s to say they were selling bikes in 1901 and mis-identifying a 1908 machine as a 1905 model?

Comment

Working...
      X