1929 Matchless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Matchless

I just purchased a wonderful 1929 Matchless X (air-cooled, 4 stroke V-twin Matchless engine) and Dusting sidecar from Australia.

It is a great looking and fun machine, but I am having a very difficult time digging up any information on it. All leads would be appreciated.

1929 Matchless

The 1929 Matchless X/R v-twin uses a Matchless-made engine, not a J.A.P. (Prestwich) engine. teh gear box is a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer
    If you would like copies of a couple of road tests of this model from 1929-30 let me know an address to send them to - either email or snail mail.
    AFJ

Comment

Well you stopped me in my tracks. I went out to the garage and looked, and you are correct. I was told it was a JAP engine, but there are no markings on it to show it is. So I'll take your word on it.

Yes, I am interested in any info on this machine (and Dusting sidecars).

Thanks,

Buzz Kanter
      TAM Communications, 1010 Summer St., Stamford, CT 06905

Comment

Dusting Sidecar

Dear Buzz
        I purchased a 48 Triumph from AU recently & it had a Dusting sidecar also. I found the sidecar web site which also included replacement parts diagram. It is quite interesting. The address is dropbears.com/d/dusting/index.htm good luck with your bike. Cass

Comment

What a great web site. Thanks for the connection. I never even heard of the Dusting until recently and has no idea of what a long history and solid product it had.

I plan on showing the 1929 Matchless with Dusting sidecar at the Greenwich Concours in Greenwich, CT May 30 and June 1 2003. Then again at the Gotham Motorcycle Classic in NYC Oct 11 and 12 2003 (www.GothamMotorcycleClassic.com).

Thanks,

Buzz.

Comment

1929 Matchless

Road tests mailed.
            The Model X Matchless engine is an interesting design as it bucked the then-usual long-stroke-is-best theory. The model X is actually a "square" motor - equal bore and stroke. The only other British v-twin of that period which was "square" was the KT series JAP.
            It also makes do with one camshaft instead of 2 or 4 and the camshaft has only 3 lobes, both exhaust valves run off the same cam.
            It is a very smooth motor - it should be - the flywheel and rods together weigh 26 lb! Note it is also a 50 degree angle motor.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
            X