Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the biggest size you can bore a pan cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the biggest size you can bore a pan cylinder?

I sent my jugs, like a fool, to "Dragon Man" to be bored for his pistons. I wanted 80" pistons, but he went .020 over. now with 500 miles on it, its smoking like hell. Can I take another .010 out of them?

Unless they were bored crooked, you can take a Pan out as big as you can find pistons for it. At .100" over (in a 74" casting), they have an average of .070" left at the the thinnest spots in the basenut reliefs.

However, you MUST use torqueplates to properly hone-fit the cylinders as if installed with full fastener stress. And the stone pressure must be minimized, or the walls will creep back in a fraction of a thou over a period of time.
    Otherwise you risk all of the horror stories about overheating and fragging that happens when barnyard shops just poke'n'hope.

Note that there is a section on this board for warnings about experiences with vendors like Dragonman.

Comment

I always heard you can go up to .80 over to be safe. Why wou ld you send your barrels all the way to Colorado from Maine? Could you elaborate on all the details on your dealings with Dragonman as there are a lot of bad rumors floating around about his work and maybe you can save somebody else from a lesson at the school of hard knocks!
      Doug

Comment

It ain't just "rumours". I'm here to testify that he's a crook and that's a fact. I am still trying to replace the '65 cases he felonized with an illegal repair in the late 80's. The State of Illinois and the State of Colorado have it a matter of record.

Comment

Working...
        X