Battery Additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Additive

"I'd rather race without tires than without VX-6 in my battery"- Lee Petty. "The contents of a tube for a lifetime treatment of any fillable battery". "Brings sulphated mechanically-sound batteries back to life. Improves the electrical storage capacity of a battery. Gives recuperative and self-recharging ability". J.C. Whitney. (800) 837-4227. A (3) fld. oz. bottle will do a 6V or 12V. 1/3 of a bottle to each of the 3 cells for 6V. Or, 1/6 of a bottle to each of a 12V 6 cell openings. Do Not Overfill above the high mark on a clear battery. On black batteries, stop filling just after the plates are covered. (A reason why I like clear-view batteries). I used this on my 6V Chevy pickup battery that's sat out of the truck for the past 5 years which I haven't charged every month. Woulda' been dead by now, if not for for VX-6 (aka. "Charge-It") 3 oz. cycle size is #89XP0277Y Give the saleslady the italicsized four numbers 0277 because their catalog prefix and suffix numbers change. They have 1 qt. size #12DZ9084A, but the cycle size bottle is excellent to use with distilled water to top off the battery later on. You can't go wrong with VX-6 and a Battery Tender® trickle charger.

6 Volt System

The 6 volt system on these old Harleys has always been their weakest link. That's why you see so many 12 volt conversions, especially on daily riders. Personally, I am going to stick with the 6 volt system since all of the riders in the old days suffered through it so will I. Makes me feel like I am linked to the past. I am religious about the battery tender but never tried any additive except for distilled water from Walmart. It works great!

Jim
    Tulsa, OK

Comment

Try the additive. You can use it with fresh acid in a new battery (add it to acid, not acid to it). Or, you can use an eyedropper and remove less than an ounce of existing acid in an old battery with an eyedropper type hydrometer (also in the J.C.Whitney catalog) and refill with VX-6.

Comment

Working...
      X