VL Clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Clutch question

Here I am, right on time, getting my 1930 VL ready for next week at Oley on April 25-27. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! Anyway, I started it up (easily, I might add) and I tried to put it into first gear. Sounded terrible gears grinding and clashing. I had an extremly hard time getting into 1st. So, I got out my Riders manual, and adjusted the clutch arm throw, which by the way, was really OK to begin with. Still NO GOOD! Then, I started to adjust the "adjusting screws" in 1/2 turn each like it says in Riders Manual. Started, tested, still gears clashing. Tried this about 3 times, seems worse now. Now, the screws are really hard to turn. OH, in the Riders manual, it says that if the engine holds while starting, then the clutch should be "adjusted enough" (or similar to those words) I think I am at the end of my adjustments. I need some help/ideas (I probably need a new clutch) Anyone, ever had this same problem?

Jim

V.L. clutch

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but have the plates stuck together
    Disengage the clutch and kick the bike over to see if the clutch is freeing. If the clutch doesn't free you may have to disassemble the clutch to seperate the plates where they have stuck together or you can start the bike and get someone to push you along so you can engage low gear and then ride along with the clutch disengaged, speeding up and slowing down in an effort to break the clutch free. If you do this please ensure you have plenty of room around you should the clutch not free and you have to get stopped without hitting anything. Living on a 300 acre farm has its benefits and I just go into the 40 acre paddock behind the house and play around to my hearts content with the only problem being having to dodge the bull****.
    If the clutch worked ok we you laid the bike up I'll bet it's only stuck plates that are giving you a problem.
    Regards Tommo

Comment

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will have to take it apart and see what you suggested. It really isn't too big a deal to do. But... it doesn't look like it will make it to the Oley show.

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X