6 Volt Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Volt Battery

I am looking for a replacement battery for my 1947 Chief. I currently have a 13 amp/hr battery inside a hollow shell. I am looking for a 30-32 or so amp/hr battery like the originals or at least a higher capacity battery to fit inside my shell. Any help would be greatly appreciated as to where or what I can get. Thanks!

Sorry, I think you're out of luck. 32 AH is a lot. When I was shopping for a 6volt battery, I ended up with 11 AH. What I'd recommend doing is checking the battery catalogs of various manufacturers. YUASA has a page full, and the highest they list is 13 AH.
    -----------
    I stand corrected. Just happened to see in the Jerry Greer catalog p/n 188002 : exact reproduction, "Fill-Rite", 6V, 29 AH, 6.5" long, 3-7/8" wide, 7.5" high, with Indian script. Dry, no fluid supplied. Check to see if they are in stock.

Comment

Howdy Chaps

Dana: Alas, that beautiful fillrite to which you refer - or known commonly as the Colorado Indian battery - has long been unavailable. I'll gladly pay to obtain a completely dead one in decent condition.

Kurt: you can go to the VirtualIndian.org board and do a search for exhaustive info on this subject. If not using the "India" battery commonly sold, very few fit lead acid (la) 6v batteries inside that rubber case any longer because of la's low energy per square inch rating, ie, 13 amps is about it. But, if you have a very good voltage regulator - and by that I mean electronic - you can use any number of current absorbed glass mat (agm) batteries of which I have fitted a PowerSonic PS-6200 inside my hollowed out Colorado available on the web from batteriesplus. Though conservatively rated at 20amps, it has incredible shelf life without charging and being controlled valve absolutely no weeping and can be run laying on its side.

If you want more, the next step is a PS 36amp battery but these only fit inside one of the fiberglass "coffin" shells which will not tolerate high frog clamping pressure. I recommend gluing rubber strips to the underside of your battery frog so that you're securing your battery by "grabbing" it rather holding it by brute compression.

Again, neither these or any general purpose agm will tolerate a cutout or two charge mechanical regulator.

Comment

Working...
      X