Chica's Sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chica's Sled

Here we go. The Japanese have never really had a "hit" in the Harley market, but have always been keen observers of American culture and know where it's headed better than we do. This metalsmith (who prefers silence over English) whipped up this ride in three days, by clipping up VL and Shovelhead parts. Check the tiny conduit wrapped over the rear fender for his taillight wiring. It's 30's bobber, but then it's not. The style evolving is 2000 versions of 30's bobbers. Unfinished-no paint-your basic iron-horse from IronWorks http://www.ironworksmag.com/ A classic example of another one of those ugly so & so V-Twin dealers. The crowning glory of this machine is the mfgr's. license plate as a product of the creativity distilled from the pressure cooker atmosphere of Huntington Beach; where they have a concrete piling pier that brunts the force of tremendous south swells from New Zealand or westerlys from Hawaii. So powerful that they push an unbroken wall of energy on both sides of the pier through the pilings like they weren't even there. Not like Virginia Beach or the Gulf coast where the piers dissipate the wave, these sand dredging monsters will feather-up and scrape the bottom of the pier moving forward like a section of earth. The continual wave makes it possible for surfers to "shoot the pier" (thread a ride between the teeth of barnacle exposed pilings) and come out the other side. And, across the double blvd. street on higher ground above the pier, are were where surf shops originated. "Greek" (the Leonardo brothers) and "Vardeman"; and "Gordie" surfboards; a few blocks down right in the middle of town on PCH, the Golden Bear (state symbol), a music club (without a liquor license because in those days nobody drank and we all used to laugh at juicers) that ran nightly shows. We would pass by there on our Honda 305's on our way to San Clemente from Long Beach and twice a week the marquee would change. I would see Big Brother & The Holding Co. or Elvin Bishop plastered up there going south and then Hoyt Axton, Sonny Terry, or The Dirt Band or Steve Martin (both were from Long Beach) or Leon Russell coming back north. And all this time you also had packs of Harley riders too and the cultures never really clashed, except in "Roger Corman" films like Wild Angels, part of which was filmed a little north of H.B. in the raw red dirt of Huntington Cliffs (also on PCH, still right across from the beach) The builder Chica represents the relentless drip of change that really only takes place in small shops or garages. Unless you knew what to look for, it would appear as a couple guys in blue jeans working on an indistinct project, and not until you picked up the L.A. newspaper one day would you realize that the guys beating on drums and guitars in an open garage were actually the beginnings of the Beach Boys. Creating a vehicular expression on the cheap we think, but if you look closely and read the license plate, then you see that he's a mfgr. and that's a considerable investment.
    Now lets see if webguy will post my pix.

This is Matt

That bike is really clean. I like how he put the spark plugs on the upside of the bike and filled in the factory spark plug area with fabricated fins. That is really neat.
    Matt

Comment

HEY~! Wooo , I have awoken! That pic was buried in w/ 38 other email. I have now seen it. Very cool budget job. I always look for clean flowing creative lines. A few guys have mastered this and continue to build on tradition w/ modern techniques and personal signature flare. You know who you are.

I see that the picture is from "IronWorks May/June 2003. Pg10" Out of fairness to them for busting there asses to produce the magazine "w/ little to no profit", and to respect a shread of the international copyright laws. That's a NO GO. I will not post -and will hope that others will show the same respect.

If your really interested. GO buy it. Or have Iron Works fax me (PDF) w/ approval to post it.

I just saw some "half-wits" at a swap trying to sell blow ups of panoramic ant. M/C images from the Nat. Lib. Of Congress. Free on-line. I bit my toung and said nothing about the $400.00 frames. Then fliped out and raved for 2 min over a beer. This **** really pisses me off.

Ok, I'm stepping off the box now.

Comment

O.K...I'll get permission from Marilyn Stemp...or Dain Gingerelli...Aw heck...I'll "kite" this post to both of them..they don't care what we do..better to let some people see it here than maybe see it on the newsstand with no promo hype.
        O.K. it's done.

Comment

Sled image

The Sled....
          Attached Files

Comment

Turning Japanese....

If you want to see some nice Japanese based Harley's, pick up a back issue of 'The Horse' Issue #23, May 2002. Check out some slick little Modifieds and Bobbers turned out by Shinya Kimura of Zero Engineering. Real Low-Down to the Ground-Pounding Pans, Shovels, Flatheads and even a Sportster....All Hardtails of course!!.... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Chica Part II.....You can also check out more of Chica's sleds in issue #30 Feb/March 2003 of 'The Horse' (Back Street Choppers). Check out his 'Knuckle' Bobber with red wheels! Nice!....Later...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
              X