Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on 42EL rebuild

Howdy all!
    I've recently aquired what I believe is a 1942 EL61. I'm very excited about restoring it. I'm going to do most of the work myself and I'm hoping I can get a little help from you more experienced folks out there... This is my first post since I've joined, so thanks for putting up with any of my ignorance.
    Can anyone tell me some good books of reference or decent parts books? I'd like to stay away from over the ocean stuff if possible. How about some hints on starters?
    I've been restoring and rebuilding cars and trucks for a while but this is my first bike, so I know a little of what I'm doing. I realize a little info can be a dangerous thing. I'll listen to some wisdom if there's some out there to share.
    I'd like to restore this bike to original condition.

Thanks for help in advance.
    Gary

PS I've got a pic to share, it's not much but I've got my Harley!!!
    Attached Files

Knuckle Reference Books

Gary,

Nice looking project. I'm, jealous. My latest restoration was a 46 FL. I have two books that I would recommend. First, you definitely need to purchase Bruce Palmer's, How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson. This can be found at local book stores here in Oklahoma for $29.95 (Barnes and Nobel or Borders). Or you can buy it from conansclassics.com. I am not sure about the book stores in Oregon. This is a must have book for 37 to 64 big twin restorers. It has a few inaccuracies but overall is a great reference book for the money. Also, a book called Classic Harley Big Twins by Greg Field and Tom Murphy is another detailed book that I found useful.

A restoration parts company called Antique Cycle in Rockford Michigan has high resolution factory photos/lithographs of a 1940 and 41 knucklehead that they will sell you (616) 636-8200. They can also supply the correct color paint if you want it in lacquer or enamel.

There are several books (mostly coffee table style) that show neat but incorrect bikes if you are a details type person. I would not recommend that you use these as a reference of what is correct and what isn't.

Hope that helps. There are a lot of smart restoration folks on this site that would love to help you.

Kirk any book recommendations?

Jim M.
    Tulsa, OK

Comment

I have an original 41 Knuckle with 9,000 miles on it and I have also restored numerous high point AMCA bikes of this era. If you want some info give me a call at 605-225-5702. I feel confident that I can steer you in the right direction and I would be more than happy to help you out in any way possible. After all that is our mission, getting these old warhorses back on the road. Hope to ride with you someday.
      Carl

Comment

You are a lucky boy!! Appears to be a fairly complete bike. Very nice. You should come out to the National Road Run in ORG. Meet some folks. See a few bikes on the road. July 24 - 27 Oregon Trail Chapter, John Day, ORG. Evenings around 6pm are a good time if you just want to make contact. Have you been out to a chapter meeting?

I'm really impressed - that you were able to post a picture! This gives me hope.

Comment

Get these books from Chuck @ Kick-Start (616) 245-8991. Ask him about the print quality of the 1940-47 (re-pop) Knuckle service manual he stocks, if he says it stinks, then call Tatro Machine @ (619) 233-9005 and ask for one of his dad's manuals that he re-printed 30 plus years ago of unremittently opulent quality. Then get the (gray) 1941-54 Spare Parts book, the Palmer Restoration book, and our book (Amazon>books>Kirk Perry [read the table of contents]) which has some electrical testing procedures for Knuckles and maintenance procedures. It's not such a big investment for the books that will teach you something new... and then find a mechanic that is not going to "practice" on your Knuckle. Yeah...go with Olsen, at least if you have a problem with anyone connected to this site, you can lambaste them online. Learn something about your motor as you go. The last time I checked, there was nobody that knew everything, and beware of anyone that says they do. The older and more calcified a mechanic gets, the more he thinks that Harley-Davidson didn't know what they were doing and that his way is right.
          And, if you plan on keeping your Knuckle, may I suggest, send 24.95 and 3.95 (ground) to Schiffer Publishing, 77 Lower Valley Rd., Atglen, PA 19310 (610) 593-1777 and get the "1930-1941"; H. Wagner book (ISBN 0-88740-894-X) to be completely "Knuckled back." This is the most dimensional m/c story-book ever written on the Knuckle. Equal to Palmers service-history.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all for the replies! I have three of the afformentioned books coming, as well as a parts book from Kick-Start.
            What an amazing catalog Kick-Start has, can you really get all those parts? Are they all repro and look like it? Is Kick-Start a good place to purchase parts? If not, are there other sources?

Carl, expect a call soon... thanks!

Jim, nice references on the books, they're on the way. I have a book by Greg Field titled "Harley-Davidson Knuckleheads". Is this book what you would consider a "coffee table" book?

Admin Dude! Lucky? hmmm... lets just say I was at the right job when a person came in looking for a couple of dollars. My lovely wife and myself would love to be in John Day for the ride, but it seems we have a mountain top fire lookout reserved for that weekend. Bummer!

Kirk, gotta love your style. Thanks for the tips. I cracked up at "calcified". Boy, if that dosen't describe half the people in little ol' Grants Pass I not sure what else will.

Thanks Again

Comment

Hang on to the Greg field Knucklehead book. Besides being an excellent reference book, it is a superb "coffee table" book containing factory (studio) black & white pix of the motor parts, and equally important it is out of print and copies are over a hundred bucks from amazon.
              The good part about dealing with Chuck is that you get to talk to the same guy that's going to ship your order. He almost always has everything in his catalog in stock and knows which A.M. items are made better than others.

Comment

Working...
              X