No announcement yet.

Invitation To Like Motorcycle Clubs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invitation To Like Motorcycle Clubs....

While the AMCA is my first 'Favorite' motorcycle club and I enjoy going to and participating in the shows immensely, I do travel to other States and Marque specific clubs functions. I have noticed that there seems to be a lack of representation or showing among some of the various Marques at our own AMCA meets. Something I would like to throw out to our Chapters is the possibility of 'Invitational' participation of these Marque Specific Club's members and machines. I would like to see a row of say 'Norton' motorcycles by the local Norton Owner's Club or Japanese Owner's Club or an Italian Motorcycle Club. Perhaps give them some space at our shows where they could bring in a representative display of their Member's machines. Of course not all the bikes would be Antique but the line up of various year machines chosen by that Club would make for some great comparisons and could turn up some real 'Odd-Ball' stuff. The bikes themselves would just be a static display, so there would be no threat to our 35 or 25 Year Rule in regards to Judging and Parts sales. There are a lot of motorcyclists out there that don't really know about the AMCA and this could be a way of getting a larger mix of different Marques at the Local Chapters level for both Club's and maybe a New Member or two! Kind of 'Back to the Future' if you would. Like when your browsing thru those old 40's/50's Magazines and you'd see all the different AMA Club's of the period in their different 'Uniform's'. I'm sure those other Club's would like to add our Show as a 'Run To' event. What do you think??...... Hrdly-Dangrs
    Yes, I would Like To See Other Club's Participation At The AMCA
    0%
    No, I Don't Think It Would Benefit The AMCA
    0%

Very different idea! I personally like it. As when I first started riding motorcycles I had a 1965 Honda CB 160, and I still have it! And now it is over the AMCA 35 years old rule now. If it was restored it could be judged I suppose. It is funny that you don't see the VJMC come to the meets and I always wondered why? Possibly because they are "not really welcomed". I like ALL antique MCs not just American Iron. (Although, my first choice is American Iron) Could you imagine? Triumphs, Hondas, Hodaka, I guess it is endless on what you could look at during just one day! I am FOR bringing in other makes clubs.

Jim

Comment

I would agree to invite other clubs. It would be a good way to spread the word. I belong to two car clubs and the Harley Owners Group as well as this club. I have found that most of us have a common love of all things powered by internal combustion engines. My experience has been that inviting other clubs to your events increases attendance at that event and subsequent events.

Comment

As you know, I'm against changing the 35 year rule but I think this would be great. I have to wonder, however, what kind of response you would get. When I was heavily involved with one of the British clubs there was a pretty strong anti-Harley attitude among most of the members. "We don't want to attract a bunch of Harley riders to our events." was a popular answer to many of my suggestions that involved increasing participation. It was one of the reasons I backed away from that club. It would be interesting to see if time has changed anything. I'm not against any motorcycle, as long as it's OLD.

Comment

Last year at the Colonial Chapter in Harmony, NJ, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the unique early British machines that showed up with some of the out-of-state vendors. More of them I think then I've seen in awhile. But what made it an even better meet for me was the vendor who had a display of about 5 Italian Motorcycles of various engine sizes lined up side by side. When I turned the corner of that isle and seen those great 50's/60's Italian beauties dressed in Red and Polished Aluminum!....Wow!! The original decal artwork alone made for great viewing! Ducati, Motorini, Guzzi....and an Aprilla I think...NOW THAT'S-A-NICE!! Don't get me wrong. If there were more then 10 English/Italian bikes on the field that was a lot. But the striking differances of just these few low bar Italian cafe racers next to the BIG 'X' and Injuns' and Pans' was Great! I've been sitting on Harley's since I was a 1 Year old back in '56', and they'll always be my #1 RIDE (Sportster and Big Twins), But I've always liked those European/British Jewels! Maybe I've been a little luckier then some of my fellow Big Twin owner's in that I've owned and rode some of these very same motorcycles. In my 'younger' days I used to run a Norton Cafe Racer, complete with 'Clip-ons' handle bars, rear sets and twin Amals with their Velocity Stacks s*cking at my pants legs. Leaning into a curve, I used to slide off the side of the bike and lay that bike down low on its side with my knee all but scrapping the pavement....Avon tires gripping for all they were worth! Damned if I didn't think I was running the Isle of Man!! On the Street no less!...Go back to my garage and hop on to one of my Sportsters....4" lengthed Hardtail...Ape Hangers...21" Narrow 'Avon' (always loved that tire on the front of my bikes!)....Flying down Rt 80....hands over my head and my ass 24" off the ground....cranking it over 90 and looking for the 'Man'....never did get stopped!! Got a glimpse of my first exotiic Ducati parked outside a real French Cafe in 'France', (before 'Fr**ch' became a bad word), when I was R&R as a young Marine L/Cpl in '75'...walking down a narrow cobble stone roadway...checking out all the pretty young 'Frenchies'...seen it sitting next to a couple of other Euro Racers!! The height of the 'Cafe Racer' years then... Lucky me! Never minded riding these "Non-Harley's"!...Yeah, Harmony was pretty good last year for viewing bikes and reminiscing!!...Maybe this years show will be even better!...Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of a 'Rickman' Triumph....Bimota....Ariel 'Square Four' or a great Brough-Superior and perhaps even one of those God awful green Kawasaki 2 strokers....One can only be so Lucky!!.... ....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
          X