1912 Koehler Escoffier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 Koehler Escoffier

I have recently aquired a 1912 Koehler Escoffier Motorcycle from France. Unfortunately I can not find information on the company, or any information about the bike. To add to this, it is missing the exhaust system as well as several other small parts. Does anyone out there have a complete machine or any Koehler advertisements.
    Thanks,
    John Koller AMCA# 66

hello john do you have any picture's of your new toy? would like to see it.joe

Comment

I plan to take some pictures of it within the two weeks, I need to get my camera working. Do you know anyone who has one similar to mine?

Comment

My trusty "Tragatsch" encyclopedia states the following.
        Quote: KOEHLER-ESCOFFIER/ France 1912-1957
        Designed by Roger Guignet,Koehler-Escoffier machines became famous during the 1920s with a 996cc V-twin which had-- as the only machine of this capacity and configuration in the world -- an OHC engine of their own design and manufacture.
        There was also a 498cc ohc single with a sloping cylinder. Other versions had 347cc and 497cc MAG and Chaise single cylinder ohv engines. There was a great similarity with Monet-Goyon motorcycles, after the MG factory at Macon took over the Guignet works in 1929.
        After 1945 Monet-Goyon and Koehler-Escoffier motorcycles were near identical. Most models had 98cc and 248cc Villiers two-stroke engines with J.A.Gregoire rear suspension. Among successful Koehler-Escoffier riders were the famous George Monneret and Jean Eddoura.
        End quote:
        If you have a 1912 model it appears from the above quote you have a motorcycle from their first year of production and I'm sure there are very few of them around. Congratulations on a super find.
        My magazine collection includes a complete set of the English "Motor Cycle" from issue number 4 (1902) through to 1922 so when I get a chance I'll look through the 1912 issues and see if I can find some pictures for you.
        Hope this is of some interest.
        Tommo

Comment

Thank you very much for the help. I will be taking pictures this next weekend, and once I figure out how to post them on the board, I will do so. Also, if someone knows of one, I would be interested in purchasing a complete or incomplete machine. Once again, thank you all for your help.

John Koller

Comment

Koehler Escoffier

I would love to see a picture of that machine. As is stated in the history they made a real kick ass ohc race bike that had an uncanny resemblance to the Cyclone I recall reading somewhere that Reading Standard sent (or probably sold) the Cyclone drawings ( they made a clone of it themselves) to Europe! Could this be the origin of that racer?

Comment

Hello everybody,

As a Belgian member of the French motorcycle club, M.C.M.G.K.E. (Motor Club Monet Goyon, Koehler-Escoffier) in Paris (Europe)

http://www.monet-goyon.net/

I sended several emails to John Koller to send me some photos of his Koehler-Escoffier in exchange of all information (included a value taxation) about his bike.

He agreed and promised me to send some photos of his bike, but even after several requests from my side I never got anything. He even didn't reply anymore on my emails.

As a passionated collectioner and writer of the Koehler -Escoffier section on the above mentioned site, with contacts in the whole world, I am asking did somebody on this forum ever saw any photo of the 1912 Koehler-Escoffier of John Koller.

Personally, it's the first time with all my contacts all over the world that I experienced such a behaviour from somebody who pretends to be a passionated of old motorcycles.(?)

So I ask, If somebody can help me further with my request of photos of the Koehler-Escoffier of John Koller and post them on this forum. Thank you in advance.

Greetz

Miccccha

Comment

Originally posted by Miccccha
                Hello everybody,

As a Belgian member of the French motorcycle club, M.C.M.G.K.E. (Motor Club Monet Goyon, Koehler-Escoffier) in Paris (Europe)

http://www.monet-goyon.net/

I sended several emails to John Koller to send me some photos of his Koehler-Escoffier in exchange of all information (included a value taxation) about his bike.

He agreed and promised me to send some photos of his bike, but even after several requests from my side I never got anything. He even didn't reply anymore on my emails.

As a passionated collectioner and writer of the Koehler -Escoffier section on the above mentioned site, with contacts in the whole world, I am asking did somebody on this forum ever saw any photo of the 1912 Koehler-Escoffier of John Koller.

Personally, it's the first time with all my contacts all over the world that I experienced such a behaviour from somebody who pretends to be a passionated of old motorcycles.(?)

So I ask, If somebody can help me further with my request of photos of the Koehler-Escoffier of John Koller and post them on this forum. Thank you in advance.

Greetz

Miccccha
                I'm certainly not pretending to be passionate about antique motorcycles.

I went back through my inbox and haven't recieved any emails in regards to that motorcycle, not within the past couple of years at least. Perhaps my junk email filter caught it by mistake because it was a foreign email, or something along those lines? But either way, I apologize.

Here's a couple of pictures of my machine.

Comment

Hello John,

Thank you for your fast reply and at least the photos of the before mentioned bike.

Maybe its was a bit exaggerated to describe you as a passionated of old motorcycles, but mentioning your own description in your profile on this forum : "Interests I enjoy rare motorcycles, pre 1916 bikes, and motorcycles made in Wisconsin, period custom cars and hot rods too... ", I think I'am am not so far away from it.

About the correspondence we made by email, it go's back to the 23°rd of januari 2005 and if you still have the same Yahoo account I can send you again all the messages from that period, included your answers, if you 're still interested.

One think for shure, the first Koehler-Escoffiers were build in 1912 and there is only one left (by my knowledge), so yours will be the second one I traced. I don't have to explane you his importance and value.

So I ask you, whenever you have the time, to take some more photos from : (left side of the bike , frame and/or engine number(s) and a possible numberplate) to fully identifie the bike, and send them to me to complete my story of the koehler-Escoffiers.

The results of your co-operation and our research will be published on the site of our club, with (if you desire) your name mentioned as the owner.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter,

Sincere

Michaël Reyntjens
                  Belgium

Comment

John , very nice bike ,

Michael , is that their own engine or a German 'Fafnir' , it has some similar designs as my 1904 James H.Smith's Fafnir engine ?
                    Ken

Comment

Fafnir engine ?

Hello Ken,

The images I received from John Koller , are for shure not from any Koehler-Escoffier.

By our first contacts, years ago, John Koller told me, the bike was sold to him, during his visit in France, as an Koehler-Escoffier, 500cc from 1912.

Because that model an brand is very rare to find,and as a member of the Monet Goyon, Koehler-Escoffier motorcycle club of France. (http://www.monet-goyon.net/) I was very interested to know al the details of this bike.

The only Koehler-Escoffiers from 1912 until 1920, where 500cc bi-cylinders in V.

After reception of the images, they showed not to be a Koehler-Escoffier. Some details let me suppose it could be a French or Swiss motorcyle.

The engine is a bit a lookalike a "Fafnir" engine, but I didn't find any reference to prouve.
                      It likes to be an 500cc with a with an opposite valves steering system.

This is an construction, normally used by older models (around 1900).

Would it be possible to put an image of booth sides of your "1904 James H.Smith's" on this site, because also from your bike I could'nt find any documentation. Thank you.

Untill now I still cannot tell you what brand or model of motorcycle it is, and I'am quiet curious to find it out.

Regards

Michaël

Comment

Hello Michael and John , I enclose pics of my 1904 James H.Smith , this was made by a Motor Engineering Company , as far as I can find out it is the only one made , the frame and cycle parts are BSA (they supplied frames etc before complete bikes) forks ? may be Chater Lea ?? and the engine is Fafnir as is the carburretor , single speed , no clutch , great fun to ride !!! hope the pics get on ok , may have to send another post for more , best wishes with getting this bike on the road , Ken
                        Attached Files

Comment

Woops only one pic went on , here's another one or two ????
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh well , looks like I'll have to do one at a time sorry 'bout this , Ken
                            Attached Files

Comment

the other side
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X