Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somethin funny going on here

I got the club magazine today.
    My wife goes and gets the mail and what do you know she's like honey your favorite magazine is here waving the big white envelope. I snatch it from her fingers grumbling gimme that!. I rip open the package eagerly anticipating some sharp bikes and far out tales and ... what's this . A mid 1970's Hahahonda... thats not 35 years old, I flip over the back cover and there is a equally pristine, similar vintage Kawasahahaki pictured inside. What's more is a Suzukhee and a Yamahahaha are featured in the middle. Some of these bikes have four carburators, I can't work on that! Something smells fishy at the Sushi Bank! The 35 year old rule is not dead yet, or is it.
    Oh well... I still love the magazine and seeing the 1967 (36 years old!) BSA Hillclimber made it all OK again for me. Great bike and great story.
    For some bikes life begins at 35,
    Doug

Speaking of which, if you're not a member yet, now is the time. If you join today (for a mere 20 bucks) they will send you the Spring edition mentioned above, which has Kick-Start's full page crash & burn photos and Part 1 of H. Wagner's "Birth of the H-D V-Twin" story. I opened some of Stett's mail one time, when I saw he had a letter post marked from Wisconsin. It was from Wagner. He spoke about a new book they were preparing. The early "shed" years. I said, "Yes, give us some info about the tools they used in that shed". Was it like "webguy" once said, "...that the early 1900's was exactly like today...that there were aftermarket catalogs even back then, where you could find generic V-Twin cases, one-piece cylinders and heads, pistons, carbs, etc. and build your own motor and machine, and that this was the reason there were so many different marques?" Is it true then that everything has already been done? Ride with us until Summer and find out more.
    I'd like to see a history of the "Mustang" motor scooter. "The Stallion's "High Torque Engine" coupled to the proven 4 Speed Smooth-shifting transmission makes this Flashing Mustang a machine to match the wants of all the young at heart." Here's the motor description: Four cycle "L" head, 2-7/8" bore, 3" stroke, 19.4 cu.in. displacement. Meehanite cylinder block, aluminum finned oil pan and cylinder head. Die-cast flywheel, connecting rod and piston. Replaceable steel backed connecting rod bearing. Forged steel crankshaft, heat treated and mounted on Timken roller bearings. Alloy steel valves and heavy duty valve springs.- Mustang Motor Co. 241 Concord street, Glendale 3, Calif. Would someone in L.A. please go over to Glendale and find this address and take a photo and post it? We want to see where this all took place. The Mustang had a real-sized "piston" and plenty of meat in the cylinder to bore out. Daryl Darnell had one in Houston that could leave the ground between second and third gear.

Comment

Mustang History

Maybe you could write a book about mustangs Kirk.

Comment

Might, if there was any record left of their existence.

Comment

There is at least one book on the history of the Mustang Motorscooter. I believe its put out by the 'Mustang Owner's Club'. Should be able to get it thru them. There might be a second one also by them or an independent publisher. Both copies may be out of print. Check on line with some of the larger book stores like Barnes and Knobles or Borders. I seem to recall having both of them at one time in my Motorcycle library awhile back before I sold most of it off..... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Thanks, I will.
            Nope. Nothing but Ford Mustang.

Comment

K.perry, go to web and punch in Mustang Motorscooter Club of America. A great site will await you plus several other links for same. Also try their e'mail site mmcoa@yahoo.com I've done both ways and its weird but different things come up for the same Club. Check it out for yourself... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hey Man you guys pirated my topic. This was susposed to be about me and my day and my thoughts, and the new club magazine, and now you guys are going on about some big minibikes. Sheesh what a bunch of freeloaders.
                Doug

Comment

Hitch-hiking on your conversation you mean? Went to the Mustang site. http://www.mmcoa.org/ Thanks Hardly. Going back there now to read and visit. Glad they have the factory assembly line pix. Looks like a lot of good reading. Man..I'd like to own a Stallion. What a great thumper. I'd like to see the Mustang made in Taiwan like they did the Whizzer. Keeping the same external flywheel & everything the same, able to bolt on original parts. Same everything. Not like they attempted with the Triumph Bonneville. I mean the same disc or spoked wheeled scooter from the 50's. Same plumbing pipe nipple oil guage. Guess I should be saying this over on their site.
                  I can tell from talking to several motor builders now, that there is a DEEP sense of appreciation from these builders, towards any manufacturer that has keep his aim on exact replication and succeeded; we're knowing the antiquers are an intolerant audience.

Comment

K.Perry. Great you got it! That's what I was trying to get to but I kept getting different internal site items of the main site. Weird!! Anyway, I'm going to look thru this whole site myself. Been quite awhile since I read those books.... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

AND NOW...BACK TO OUR MAIN PROGRAM. When we last left Doug he was complimenting our Club Magazine on its great choice of motorcycles..... ...You Know Who

Comment

I'm all for the 25 Year Rule...And I believe that Articles like these on Japanese motorcycles are good for the Hobby. But at the same time we must be sensitive to some of our fellow American motorcycle owner's...next thing you know they'll be a Center Spread of a 'Rickuo', Rickia, Rucho...or what ever the hell that 'Japanese' Harley is called!....Or Worse...Some Damned FRENCHIE Scooter.... ...Anonymous

Comment

Motorcycles is Motorcycles

Actually those older Jap bikes have sort of a charm to them compared to the nightmares being built today. They look like -- er, real motorcycles!

I still have my very first bike lying in the junkpile: a 1967 Honda CL160. Maybe it's time to get it running again...

Comment

The Japanese motorcycles and their builders are probably the best thing that's happen to the American motorcycle Industry. It forced 'Harley-Davidson' to have to compete and thus improve on all its products! Not to mention the Aftermarket and High Performance Industries! Nothings more motivating then a worthy opponent! You'd be smart now to invest a little in some of these relatively inexpensive motorcycles. They will most certainly go up in value! ....Mr Roboto

Comment

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs
                              The Japanese motorcycles and their builders are probably the best thing that's happen to the American motorcycle Industry. It forced 'Harley-Davidson' to have to compete and thus improve on all its products! Not to mention the Aftermarket and High Performance Industries! Nothings more motivating then a worthy opponent! You'd be smart now to invest a little in some of these relatively inexpensive motorcycles. They will most certainly go up in value! ....Mr Roboto
                              Plus the fact that many of us around the 50 year mark got our start on Jap bikes and moved up to a Harley-Davidson -- sooner or later. And those who didn't get a Harley back when they were young are doing it now. Will the day come when these modern oldsters on a Harley feel nostalgic for their first Jap bike? Then you'll see the prices zoom!

Comment

Working...
                              X