Where do the two separate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do the two separate?

Hello There, My Question is, The catagory of Original & Restored on judging sheets. Example: You have a original condition M/C that previous owners painted parts/ sheetmetal to be different from when purchased. Can some parts (tool box, chainguard,etc.) be returned to original color/finish and still be in in the original catagory, or is that considered restoring? My other question would be, Can a restored M/C Be just all repainted and cleaned up and still show some wear, Or must it be showroom, like new? Thank you for any replies, I've never restored yet and am not sure if I want to. Ride um, Merlin

AMCA Handbook of Judging Reads

Magic, here are some excerpts from the AMCA Handbook of Judging: Section VI, Line 6 of the Guidelines Paragraph: Accuratley 'reproduced parts' count the same as original while judging a 'restored category'. However, in judging an 'original condition category' the part must be 'original'. Section VI, Line 7. 'Original condition' motorcycles are expected to have faded and worn painted surfaces, scratches and other signs of wear and age. Section VI, Line 23 of the General Information Paragraph: An 'unrestored' bike will be scored accordingly if it has parts which have been 'restored to as-new condition'. The 'finish on parts' added to an 'unrestored bike' should show the 'same degree of wear as the rest of the motorcycle'. As I read it, you can paint your 'Original' replacement parts in the (Original colors) on your unrestored motorcycle so long as the final finish is similiar in wear characteristics as the rest of the bike and still remain in the 'Original' catagory. If you add a 'new reproduction' part regardless of how you paint it, you now enter the 'Restored' catagory and if you repaint your 'original' parts to a higher standard finish then the rest of your 'original' motorcycle, you'll have points deducted. How about it Admin Guy, does that sound about right?........Thinking Hard...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I'll step out on a limb and respond. Peter or Kevin would be better.

Yes - As I interpret it, a part with thick glossy paint would stand out on an original paint bike. It would be deducted. I think.

You could try to match, blend or age a part. It's a real art.

Yes - super glossy painted bikes are deducted points from what I understand.
      Some guys really like that and don't care.

For me - I like to see original brush marks on a dull painted surface. This is why I feel (and many others) original paint preservation is so important. If ya got it - treasure it. Cause you can't go back.

Comment

where do the two separate

magic
        if you can remove the paint the original owner put on and get down to factory paint then all is good in the world.
        if you repaint some parts then you have started a restoration and may as well finish the job. if the bike is a good example of an unrestored bike it is worth the effort to try to bring it back to original looking condition. good luck

Comment

AMCA Handbook of Judging

Where can a non-judge get his hands on a copy of the book and how much money should I send for it?

Roy Wasson

Comment

left hand side - it's free for members.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The...ging_form.html

Comment

1944 Bike with 1949 "Correct" Engine

If the bike is a 1944 which had its engine swapped out 55 years ago with a "correct" '49 motor, and nothing has been done to the bike for 55 years, is it "original" or "restored"?

Roy

Comment

I would think disqualified by AMCA standards. Sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the bad news. Where in the judging handbook can I find that criteria for disqualification? If the engine had been replaced with a '44 engine, would it still be disqualified?

Roy

Comment

Hello Roy! I think the Admin Guy is right. In the AMCA Handbook of Judging...Go to Page 12, Section VI, Guidlines #6 Quote: " Accurately reproduced parts count the same as original while judging a 'restored' category. However, in judging an 'original condition' category the part must be original". Reading the last line, by definition, I would say your motorcycle would NOT be ORIGINAL because of the later motors serial# and year of manufacture. It being for a 1949 as opposed to your 1944 untouched original bike, even though externally the engines might be identical. These guys are pretty picky when it comes to serial#s matching year of frame. Look through some of FatDog's (thats a fellow Member, not an extra large Beef Frank) earlier Posts. I believe it was he who has been questioning the use of un-serialized, but original Factory replacement Harley Motors not being accepted by the AMCA for the 'Original' Catagory!!....So I would think your later Serial# is a big No-No......I think Kevin will jump in here on this one soon and clear it all up for you! Later... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

where do the two separate

Roy
                      the bad news for your 1944 with 1949 motor is
                      "wrong engine, frame combination is an immidate disqualification"
                      as listed in the upper right of the judging form
                      SORRY Kevin

Comment

That's okay, Kevin. It will be fun finding that original '44 engine and putting it back in the rightful frame it belongs in!

Roy

Comment

What is kinda funny and interesting is that H-D at one point would send dealers blank cases so that they could restamp them to make customers happy. It wasn't a big issue I guess. I've never seen one. But may some day? A VERY rare thing -I would think, now a days.

Comment

Working...
                          X