Battery for a VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery for a VL

What type of batteries are you guys using on your 1930 -1936 VL MCs? I have been using the B38-6A. I find it big enough to fit into the box. But, I am not sure if it is a good choice for AMP reasons. I just want to know if there is a better choice or, is this one of those things where any size (big or small) 6V battery that "fits" the box is good enough.

Jim

vl battery

every spring i go to walmart an get the cheapest 6 volt battery they have that will fit in the box, every fall i throw it away. never had any trouble, been doing it for 20 years

Comment

Thanks for your reply, and I went over to my local Walmart, but they did not have any 6V MC batteries there. So, I did a small search on the internet and found this web site. Check it out for 6V MC batteries. They also have the one that I use. Although for obvious reasons they do not ship the acid with them.

http://www.acdelcobatteries.com/moto...6vbattinfo.cfm

Jim

Comment

I believe I received a flyer from Dixie Distributing Company saying they had correct VL Batteries . They are OEM part number 4303-26. I called today 1/2/02 and nobody was there to answer questions.

Comment

I found the flyer from Dixie. Black rubber cased battries for 1926-1936 Twins. Part number H-1. 6 volt battery 4"x6 1/2"x61/2"

Comment

I wonder if that is the "complete" battery, or just a "box" that goes over a battery to make it look like an exact battery of the 1930s. I have seen those "fake" batteries and then you put a small 6V battery inside it, connect the terminals to the "new" battery, and put the whole thing into the metal battery box. They look great. Are they in the AMCA magazine or do they have a web site, or email? Maybe I could look into that also. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by hd36knuckl
              I found the flyer from Dixie. Black rubber cased battries for 1926-1936 Twins. Part number H-1. 6 volt battery 4"x6 1/2"x61/2"
              These are complete new battries. Dixie does not sell retail. You have to find a dealer who carries Dixies parts.

Comment

I've been useing the same B38-6A Yuasa battery in my VLD for 4 years now. I found it is the best fitting and longest lasting battery I've used. You can get the bat. post terminals from Harbor Vintage which bolts up to this battery and the terminals look like an original battey in the box from the outside. These adapters are fragile (made of lead) they take a little tweaking to make fit. This battery cost me $45 at the local bike shop, and I think that's pretty good to last 4+ years so far. I've seen these Dixie batteries also, just like the early replacements you can get these from quite a few of the AMCA member businesses Harbor Vintage, Tom Faber, that I know of. The price is a little more than the Jap ones and I really don't know how long they last. The cheapest Ive seen one for is $75.00
                Mike L.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, 4+ years is pretty good. I guess maybe I will stick with that one. I can't remember when I bought my last one. Maybe 2 or 3 yrs?? Time flies...

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X