Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Twin Builder's Library Review

Here's some books:
    From Chuck @ Kick-Start [(616)245-8991 or from other sources you may know. If so, then you're welcome to say so.
    1. 1940-47 Big Twin Service Manual ( For Knuckle & Side Valve) The only H-D manual that gives solid lifter pushrod adjustment for any Big Twin. (Forty-year old re-production) copies can be purchased though Keenan Tatro (namesake of Keenan Wynn) (619) 233-6605, while supplies last. The pages fell out of mine after a few years of use (now kept together in a plastic sleeve), but the photographs are factory clear. The paper is old style clay-coated stock, no longer available from printers.
    2. 1948-57 (Rigid) Service Manual- A mutt compilation of the Knuckle manual and typewriter written pages, in several font styles. Contains info about the "hydraulic unit pushrods" if you have a '48 Pan. Not for the new re-pop motors, but fills a service manual void for early Panheads.
    3. 1959-69 Electra Glide Service Manual (99482-69) Still available from Harley-Davidson. The best since the (OEM) 1940-47 manual. Only covers hydraulic tappet/pushrod adjustment, not solid lifter.
    4. Clymer Panheads (ISBN 0-89287-565-8). Excellent. Covers solid pushrod and hydraulic tappet adjustment. Contains alot of tips not in the factory manual. 511 pages.
    5. How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson (ISBN 0-87938-934-6) The best service/history manual out there for 45;74 & 80 Side Valve; Knuckle & Panhead. 640 pages. Get a copy.
    6. Mechanics & Owners Guide 1941-59 H-D (ISBN 0-9672744-0-0) Covers clutch hub liner replacement, solid lifter pushrod adjustment and hydraulic/solid conversion, tools, and tips. No mousetrap, tranny or anything else that is already fully covered in any other manual. 302 pages, which I wrote, with technical information supplied by Mark Stettler.

Parts Books
    1. 1911-39 Spare Parts- 45, Singles JD, Side Valve 74 & 80, early Knuckle
    2. 1936-48 Parts Catalog (black, reverse-negative, cover) Fairly worthless, except it isn't cluttered with 45 parts like the '54 Spare Parts book. Gives old three and four digit parts numbers. You'll need a "Cross Index of Original Factory Part Numbers" to go with it if you use it to order parts from a supplier.
    3. 1941-54 Spare Parts- (gray cover)- Excellent. Gives five digit part numbers. Covers 45;61;74 and 80" machines. Knuckle & Pan. Crazy index though, you have to search through obscure headings to find the part you need.
    4. 1957 (1949-57 OHV; '46-52 WL; '51-57 Servi-Cars). [red cover] Excellent. Easy index.
    5. 1958-'68 Parts Catalog (99456-68)- Excellent. Easy Index. Illustrates the current Hydra Glide fork parts used today. THE parts book for todays bobber and restoration enthusiast.
    6. Parts Catalog FX Models 1971-84 (99455-83C)- Has the (cast) shifter cam for rachet top transmissions (page 67) Using this cam (34019-73) will change a (transmission top-mounted) jockey shift lever pattern to: forward for first, back to neutral, back for second, third and fourth gear.

Legendary Reading Material
    1. Harley-Davidson 1930-1941, Herbert Wagner (ISBN 0-88740-894-X) Schiffer Publishing (610) 593-1777. The true account of H-D factory life before the 2nd World War. History of the Knucklehead. This is a good read.

Don't buy the reprinted 40-47 service manual. The quality of the
    photos is terrible (almost as bad as a photocopy). In the late
    '80s Harley did an offical reprint of this manual under part number
    99482-47. What a joy to use! You can actually make out the
    details in the photos. I know of at least one error corrected in
    the Harley reprint and there may be more.

The 48-57 panhead manual is even worse. Most photos are little
    more than black blobs on the page. Unfortunately it does contain
    some useful information so can't be completely ignored.

As for number 6 on your service manual list (Mechanics and Owner's
    Guide), if I'm not mistaken you're the author of that book. At the
    very least you should tell us this so we know you have a biased
    opinion of it. We can then take that into account when considering
    your recommendation. Not doing so has basically cast all your
    recommendations into doubt and made your post little better than
    spam.

In terms of parts books, I actually like the 36-48 book since it
    isn't cluttered with 45 parts like the '54 parts book is.

Finally, do you really need three different userids to post to
    this forum ... Perry

Comment

Kirk Perry changed his email address a few times(now DSL). If I delete his old user ID's it will change posts that were made with the old ID's to guest. So I figure just leave'em and let them stack -as ID will help other users in the future respond.

Comment

Working...
      X