1964 FL steering damper frame pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 FL steering damper frame pin

Hello all. Thanks for replies to previous questions. On my frame the damper pin is broken off. My question is whether the pin was threaded, pressed, or part of the frame forging? It looks that I can drill insert a pin to make a decent replacement, but am curious to original manufacture.

Thanks.

Yep, just pressed in,.. Good luck!

Comment

The pin is 1-3/8" long (overall) (VT 37-9097) The stepped portion that goes into the frame boss is 7/8" long. Drill a smaller hole into the stub and turn-in an "easy-out" until it's seated securely. If the frame is not painted, you can use a MAPP gas torch to heat the boss (at the bottom) hot enough, that when you spray WD-40 into the side wall (Not anywhere near a flame!!) it sizzles. Convection will draw the WD into the bottom. The pin only goes in 7/8" so it should come out with a little wrasslin' & hasslin'. The stepped portion of the pin measures 0.313" O.D. (mine starts out .0.310" and steps up to 0.313) The I.D. hole in the boss is less than 5/16", so don't ever drill-out the hole in the boss! The pins were offered by Harley in an o.s. of 0.005", but not today. Fit your new pin into the anchor plate hole and make sure it is snug. I think the o.s. of the pin was on the top exposed section, for anchor plate holes that were worn o.s.

Comment

Working...
      X