Tedd Replica Knuckle Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedd Replica Knuckle Heads

Just ordered (VT 1108-50) [fully assembled] Knuckleheads w/Parkerized appurtenances. They have 41 sets in stock. Putting those heads on a complete short block and stuffing it into a 29 degree '41-E46 OE frame. Drilling an angled hole into the top of the steering head for a (46731-48) anchor plate pin, and installing a set of '49-59 front forks. 16 X 5.10 Speed Grips. Note: The bottom end was built by Mark Stettler @ San Diego H-D with a crankshaft side-play of 0.010" (Upon hearing that, from the next bay over, Randy said..."That's too tight Stett...motor will seize". Stett said, "No, he's using H-D 20W50 and he knows how to break a motor in".
    I have everything (new,in aftermarket boxes) I need to complete my machine as described below in "Upswept Shotgunned Bobber". This is the fun part. Note: Why am I using a 29 degree (1941-E46) Knuckle (according to Palmer's Big Twin resto book info, not his Military resto book, frame style correction info) head stock frame, and not a '47-up, 30 degree head stock rake, when I'm using a '49-59 Hydra-Glide front clip?. The neck rake was 30 degrees during the Hydra-Glide production. It almost made sense to me, that you would put a set of OE Hydra-Glide forks on the same neck rake as it was engineered for... I would have used a '47 Knuckle bull-neck frame, but the frame manufacturer recommended the 29 degree ('41-E46) rake instead; when, if he was only "looking at my pockets" he could have sold me a more expensive '47 bull-neck frame? I (we) need to know why, and I've already asked the manufacturer once.

Knuckle Heads

Hello I am a new member and am finishing 47 knucklehead. I purchased set of v twin replica heads to use as I had problems with my rear head from past poor workmanship. Heads seem to be fine after deburring all the casting debris from port areas, I did , however have to remove valves to clean grinding residue and was shocked to find that all valves had less than 002 stem clearence and valves were not properly seated as you could hold light under head and see light under valves when pulled closed. Would strongly recommend any one using heads to disassemble and perform same to avoid hardship which would arise in very short time. Other than these irregularities the heads are very good and should do well. Also had to grind small amount off of fin to clear one plumber nut . Just thought I would pass along my experience in hopes tha t it might help someone else out there .

Comment

The V-Twin head problems reminds me of every time I mention I'm probably going to purchase an S&S 'Pan' motor for the 'Bobber' I'm working on, someone within 'earshot' finds it necassary to tell me I'm going to need to break it down and rebuild it! You would think that all these after market motors are being assembled by the same guy?? Even though their different companys, it makes you wonder as to the quality of correctness in tolerances!....Perhaps it would be better to buy by the part and build it ones self.....Hmmm.... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

have any of you guys seen or used heads from Flathead power in Sweden. I have not actually seen either Tedds or FHP. However if yopu look into flatheads website they discuss the Quality and engineering that goes into their products. It looks like an excellent product.
        Tedds catalog came in the mail the other day and I noticed they generally steer clear of product descriptions. Many catalogs will state country of origin. However it seems to me because so many of Tedds products come from Taiwan the catalog steers away from mentioning country of origin because it may lead the buyer to believe one countries products may be superior. I have almost always found USA made stuff to be far superior.
        For example go into a department store and look at cast iron pots and pans if you compare the Chinese stuff to the USA stuff you will immediately notice the difference.
        The Chinese stuff is made mostly of junk Indian parts we shipped over on barges and they melted it down to pour into their molds. Do you really want that on your Harley.

Doug

Comment

l: I did research the option of using the Swedish heads but the combination of using oversized valves , possible different guides and the fact that they use cast aluminum tins with FHP cast into them and did not know if stock appearing tins would work changed my mind. Anders undoubtably builds a high quality part but on a bike such as mine I really thought they would look a bit out of place. I also did not care for the fact that after calling every distributor in the US listed I finally got to Anders by calling him on his mobile phone, ruoted through Sweden, even though he was in LA at the time. Still would like to see some of his products in use and compare the end results a little farther down the road , you know what I mean? Dan PS one of the aforementioned dealers did call me back about 10 days after I left the third inquiry about the heads, told me he was in the process of moving and would get right back to me after about 3 months sure am glad I did not order freom him as I have still not heard from him . Ap[parently the other venders listed are out of business or only do business in the sunny months.

Comment

V-twin vs Knucklehead Power

I will be the first to volunteer to test ride any repro bike with repro engine across the US. I think the manufacturers should send me a demo bike to test drive and promote their stuff. The guys at Kiwi Indian did. So.... If your listening V-Twin and FHP I will send you the address to ship the stock bike to. I will put it through its tests, be able to do roadside repairs if needed, sorry I would have to report any breakdowns, and I may even wear one of your company logo patches.

Jim

Comment

Regarding FHP vs Tedd products: I know that FHP heads and cylinders are cast from ductile iron. The source and type of material for V-Twin Knucklehead heads and cylinders is not advertised. I have a friend: Steve Smith alias "Booger" who is running FHP Knuckleheads on his Pro Fueler. His experience thus far is....... no failures due to parts and their metalurgy.
              Several years ago I ran off shore 74 cylinders with a 61 stroke Knuckle (68 cu in). After a careful break-in of almost 3,000 miles I experienced a rear cylinder grenade. The failure took out my virgin stock cases ! I now have just over 3,000 miles on my 84 inch FHP cylinder equipped '47 Knuckle. I had the heads off for inspection this winter. The cylinder bores are still showing the original crosshatching pattern. Ductile iron is tuff stuff and when properly set up is meant for the long run. BTW I had a warranty issue with FHP over another product and Anders was more than wiiling to go the distance .......... even though the cause of the claim was out of his realm of control. Take it for what it's worth!
              SMOKE ' EM Till The Wheels Fall Off !

Comment

Kirk,
                I guess you gotta watch what you say, other people really do read this chatterbox stuff!
                Kinda hard to smoke em till the wheels fall off when your cyllinder head has a big crack in it .
                Dan tracked down Anders in L.A. I hadn't heard he had gone Hollywood!.... From the website and magazine ads I saw, the FHP heads looked just like the original HD but like I said I have not seen FHP or Tedds stuff in person. I did not know the FHP heads differed so much from stock.
                We who ride these old bikes have to watch our own behinds as in a worst case scenario such as a lunched engine freezing on a busy highway this stuff could kill us. My sproket shaft bearing froze up this summer while I was doing 60 miles per. It locked up the rear wheel. I was glad I was tooling along in the left lane and was able to get off the road safely. This was on a 1972 motor that ran great and had never been apart. There is a reason why racers get so into safety wiring and precautionary measures and that reason is not only speed. That is why I do my best to make sure the products I put on my ride are the best possible. I could go on but I am starting to bore myself.
                Hoping to live to ride another day
                Doug

Comment

The Great Knucklehead Ride

OK, here is the plan. Kirk you and someone else from the west coast head out with the replica bikes towards Oklahoma. You and your riding buddy, assuming you make it through the desert, arrive here and leave the bikes with us in T-Town. I will ride with Conan (he doesn't know this yet) to the east coast where there will be a huge party and reception.. with dancing girls.....clowns...free beer... uh.. um... sorry, I started dreaming again. Anyway, this will test the bikes and allow for four different perspectives on the individual bikes performance. I am already getting the period clothing together.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X