Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republic WA AMCA RR Report: Sept 2002

Republic WA AMCA RR Report: Sept 2002

It's a long bit here are some pictures This report is from my perspective there was alot of stuff going on all the time -all over the place.

The weather report looked perfect for the next four days. It’s a go! I’m off to Republic Washington.

My ride in was uneventful except for a few small forest fires that I saw. I was warned to keep my eyes open for deer. On Arrival late thursday the small town of approx. 1000 was just beginning to fill with AMC folks. Meeting up with a friend we quickly booked one of the last two rooms at one of the two local hotels, save a few bucks and split the cost. NAPA dealer across the street, -excellent location. The main street is approx. five small blocks long. No traffic lights. The hotels and other shops are trying to retain that victorian historic look, some new repro, some original store fronts and buildings still remain in town. It’s really pretty -and very low key.

At dinner with friends. I was informed that Peter Gagan (the new Prez) was given a $170.00 speeding ticket (6 miles over) earlier in the day when showing off the zippy capabilities of the 33 Morgan Sport three wheeler. A FINE example our new president is setting! I can’t wait to tease him about this!

Friday ride started on time! Things are super organized. The Evergreen folks are doing a great job. I’m learning a few more tricks to incorporate into our next run. Sixty riders are warmed up and ready to go. I caught myself just stareing at a few of the incredible bikes that guys had brought out for this run. The ride was off to a good start. But oops - made a wrong turn and ended up at a Canadian border crossing. No problem, we are quickly back on track in 10 minutes with a new leader. Poor Mark felt bad. But hey! Not like any of us have ever made a wrong. turn. Oh Nooooo....never.

A few break downs but nothing serious during the day. Upon leaving a gas up Ians’ Chief caught fire on start up. Four foot flame apparently. A bar owner dashed back out with an extinguisher. Mark grabbed it and gave the Chief a good shot. It was all over before most of us knew what was going on. Temperature in the high 80s. Quick stop at a neat private car/truck museum. Later saw some cows galloping down side of road. They are spooky and unpredictable.

Lunch stop was at a nice lake side resort/camp. Weather is cool and sunny lake side. Just fantastic! We regroup and are off again. Later in the afternoon after the ghost town tour, Ian made a right hander a little bit early. I stopped and thought for a second and then figured - what the hay. We ended up on a gravel road for 1.5 miles. It connected back up but a few folks were understandably upset. The rocks and dust were heavy. It’s technically a desert.

I wasn’t that concerned and putted along down the side of the road thinking about guys riding around before 1915 on such gravel roads. Long distance runs were a major feat of strength and endurance. I forgot about how much concentration it takes to stay upright on a gravel road with a road bike. Scotty later told me (with eye balls popping out) at one point he kicked the Chief out sideways, flat track style. That will certainly get the adrenaline flowing. Ian got some heat for this accidental side trip, but I had fun. Stopped to help a fellow get his 101 gas line fixed. It was a long first day ride. Back in town at 7:30pm.

In the desert, late afternoon, I was coasting solo downhill. I saw a coyote! I kinda snuck up on him I guess. Other folks saw some wild turkeys. On the way back to the hotel after a beer, I watched a couple of deer walk down the main street at 10:30pm in Republic. What a peaceful feeling watching them. Very low key town.

Saturday started out great. Another perfect day for riding. The Coulee Damn side trip was cut out of the run to make it a little shorter for folks. We were off - but sadly, at approx mid morning we had a couple put their red Triumph 650 down to avoid some cows that had suddenly jumped up onto the road in front of them, blocking the entire road. This is free range country. It was pretty nasty and we got an ambulance out right away. John seemed to take the brunt of it. Broken rib, neck & lower back problems. Our prayers got out to John and his wife for a speedy recovery.

A few miles down the road. A full size pick-up with camper on back had “T-boned” a steer into the ditch. The engine was most likely pushed back a bit. Front end destroyed- rad fluid all over the road. They were directing folks around the mess. A high suicide rate for cows today. Everyone is very aware now.

The small ferry trip across the river was packed and sadly Bill Felton and his girl friend were left behind. Hopefully they caught up. Bill is my riding hero. I should be so lucky to be riding at a simular age. It’s always great to see him out.

Got off the small flat deck ferry and headed up a switch back. Got stung by a bee under my right leg. I did hold my line. A couple of guys asked me later, what was with the high leg maneuver? I wonder- did we ride through a swarm of bees or something? It was dumb of me not to be wearing the leather pants.

At the top of the switchback we rode out onto road surrounded by rolling flatlands of wheat. Not a tree for miles. Just golden stubble. It was surreal the sudden contrast in scenery. And they don’t call it dry glutch for nothin’.

Saturday saw some fantastic scenery and shared some great rides with many friends. After buzzing many riders with the little Triumph Mahon from Oregon was ready to show me who was boss. His 80” Chief has had just about every high performance thing done to it, that you can do. He smoked me on the top end. All in good fun -and we knocked it off after a few minutes. My valves skip at a certain speed which is good, it keeps me grounded.

Saturday night banquet was fun, and almost all came away with something. Peter Gagan met Katherine Meade the head of the chamber of commerce for the town of Republic. A meeting was held during the day with the chief of police and some sort of “negotiation” was made and his ticket was revoked!!! He narrowly avoided some serious long term ribbing with that maneuver. I was given the longest distance rider award. Or as I call it - the hardest ass award or is that dumbest? Oh well, always an adventure.

A few folks were persuaded into singing in a Karioki bar across the street afterwards. It was very funny and all had a good time. I don’t personally like choreography or Karioki so I dared to do something different. I got up and sang Johnny Cash- Ring of Fire. Kinda thought it was appropriate considering the bikes, and the lasagna for a few, from the night before.

Sunday was a ride out west and back. A few of us kept heading for the coast. Ian Davidson, his son and I on bikes. Karen D. and his sons girlfriend in the van following up. Ian had his 29 Henderson KJ just a movin’ now that he was in familiar territory on the back side of the Cascade mountains. Doing a couple of hundred miles with him and his son on a 38 ULH 80” was a real treat. Ian can really carve some turns with that KJ that he restored. I think he was scraping the boards on a few turns. The engine didn’t leak a drop and it was pulling real strong. 60 miles an hr up mountain- no problem. He wasn’t holding anything back. Poetry in motion! I now have a much deeper appreciation for Hendersons. Road Runs are great!

Thank-you Evergreen Chapter for putting on a fantastic road run. I hope we can repay the favor soon. I must get that 40 Sport Scout running.
Working...
X