Hi Fi blue paint recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Fi blue paint recommendation

Looking for a recommended source for proper match hi fi blue paint and under coat system.hi fi blue

Thx

Here's a link to help you http://www.gis.net/~schmoo/ Thanks Fatdog

Comment

I'm also in the search for an authenitc looking Hi-Fi color paint source, blue as well. My 65 is original Hi-Fi blue that a previous owner had done some hand striping over that I'm trying to figure out how to remove. In the meantime - I found a very nice set of '65 OEM tanks and fenders that I'd like to repaint, etc. The source you mention above looks like a very good one. Another source is Antique Cycle Supply (they advertise in our club mag). Has anyone used their two-step paint for Hi-Fi colors? Another question - while restoring several bikes in the past, I used to buy factory paint and would take it to a place in Reading, PA that would put the paint in 16 oz spray cans. These worked really well and had high quality spray heads. I would get excellent results every time. Anyone aware of anyone that will fill spray cans today? There used to be a person that advertised in Hemmings, but haven't seen that add in awhile.

Ray

Comment

hi -fi blue paint

This reply may be a little late however. I ran into the back of a car(caused about $1000 damage to it too) with my original paint Hi-Fi Blue 61 FL a few years ago. It mangled my front fender. Needless to say it was a tough ride home with the handlebars pointed in a different direction from the front wheel and the crunched fender strapped to the six pack rack...but I digress.
        I got a new fender and purchased the 2 part system from antique cycle supply. I had my friend ,a body guy, and shovelhead rider paint it and the match to the original paint was almost perfect.
        The first part is silver and the second part is kind of a see thru blue so he had to be careful not to put the second part on too thick. The original paint has a sweet patina. In a few spots especially around the angular edges of the fenders and rivet heads the blue is gone and the silver shows thru and I figure if I polish the new paint enough I can achieve the same look but I have not done so yet (8 years).
        I hope you have good results
        Doug Leone

Comment

Hey Doug:

Sounds like you had a good match with the Hi-Fi Blue from Antique Cycle Supply. Thanks for the reference, I might give them a shot. I bought parts from them before and they were always good to deal with.

BTW - the patina you mention is one of the reasons I really wan't to find a way to remove the enamel pin striping a previous owner used on my original paint. I got some good tips from this site on how to do it, but I have a spare set of original '65 metal that I'm probably going to have reapainted in the mean time. That way I can ride while I'm methodically working on the originals, etc.

The wear on the tank with the original paint gives a lot of character.

A few years ago I saw a Hi-Fi Paint FLH at an AMCA meet that was being judged as unrestored. It looked very nice. I found out later from the owner that he actually repainted the tanks, but he was very meticulous to even get the overspray/blocking right underneath the tanks so that if someone reached under it would have the right feel, etc. He had patina that looked very natural, and some light wear through on the normal spots etc.

He told me that after he had the paint work done he would use the time in front of the TV during the sports events and just rub those areas with a rag made from an old pair of denims! Took a long time, but looked very real and natural looking. Said he did that during the winter/off season, etc.

He said the fenders were original paint. He really had the match right, but he used original 2 step HD paint.

I've left out details to protect the innocent

Ray

Comment

Ray,
            Thanks for the story. I will give the denim rub a try. It is funny how sometimes I get feeling a little crazy about originality and new old stock parts and other times, usually when I am thinking a little more clearly, I remember it is all about riding and having fun.
            It is a lousy riding day here but fortunatly the AMCA mag and calender just arrived.
            Best Regards,
            Doug

Comment

My thoughts exactly! You have to really watch you don't go way out there and end up working on the bike and trailering it instead of riding! All I want to do is not do something stupid that has a negative impact. So - having a spare set of metal to repaint and saving the old set solved that for me. The patina on old original paint definitely add great character though.

Ray

Comment

Working...
              X