Cracked 45" frame repair method needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked 45" frame repair method needed

I have developed a crack in the seat tube where it joins the lower forging. It appears to go completely around and through the tube. When bouncing on the seatslight movement can be detected, in addition there is a noise and vibration when ridden.

I am under the impression that the brazed construction of the fram does not lend itself to a simple welded repair. I'm looking for any experience in this area.

Yankee Chapter - Ride 'em, don't hide 'em.

Thanks!

Dan

I just had Mike at G&B in West Bend Wisc. make the same repair on a 45 frame of mine. he installed an insert. in it an then welded it is perfect. His number is (262)335-1942 FatDog

Comment

Conventional welding gets messy, if not impossible, if you get near a speltered joint. In such instances you should use a silver-solder of a lower melting point as the spelter, or you risk destroying the temper of the member.

It is a common mistake to flame in brass, which can admix to the steel if the flame is too hot, and turn it brittle.

In experienced hands, a TIG with silicon bronze filler makes for a very strong repair, but it will look repaired, and not sweated as the original.

Comment

Silver solder was his choice I believe looked totally stock I just used the word weld as a verb. Sorry FatDog

Comment

Working...
        X