Fuel Supply Problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Supply Problem...

This problem has haunted me from the day I first bought this bike...20 some years ago...so if I can get some help...that'd be great.
    Theoretically, my gasoline shut-off/reserve supply valve should be unscrewed, but NOT lifted, for normal riding...then, when (and if), I should run out of gas, I would just pull up the valve for my reserve.

I can run the bike for about a quarter of a mile before it sputters and spits...then seems to run out of gas, forcing me to pull up the reserve valve and go on my merry way...aarrrgghh!

Why am I having to run on my reserve??????...(or AM I, really?)

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

!!!* I just got the bike back from a total resto in mid-February...and I STILL have this problem...

Thanks...

gas shut off valve

Your problem is an interesting one. There are a few different possibilities that I can think of. On your gas tank there are two surfaces that pieces screw into. Sometimes, well usually these are out of line. This causes your gas shut off to turn very hard. You might have a Teds V-twin repop gas shut off kit too. The bottom seat that screws into the tank is made incorrectly. There is a spot on this piece where the gas crossover line is sandwiched between the seat and the tank, the holes that are drilled for the gas to flow through are the wrong size. My father and I ran into this problem two years ago on some bike we were doing. He made it work the best that it could work but ever since then we have used originals.

Comment

Shut-off/Reserve

Do you have the 71804-26 (1926!, been around a while), shut-off rod SPRING under the 62091-40, shut-off rod seal CAP? You need that spring to lift the rod off it's seat. Also, (but not the reason for your problem) don't ever file, sand or machine either side of that "banjo" fitting on the crossover line. It will make turning the knob difficult, because removing metal will throw the rod/seat arrangement out of alignment. Happened to me...I filed off both sides of the "banjo" trying to "improve" the finish, which knocked my reserve rod out of alignment and then thought my left tank reserve mount holes were out of alignment instead. I almost bought an alignment tool from Tedd to "correct" the problem I didn't have. But first...do you have that spring under there? Also, you should use a coat of "Seal-All" [(800) 441-4223 Ace Hardware] on each of the eight (8) surfaces that make contact within the assembly. A coat on the tank fitting, both sides of each brass seal, both sides of the banjo, and on the mating surface of the seat. Someone said that "Seal All" is dissolved by unleaded gas, but I still use it and have no leaks at the shut-off assembly. Let us know about that "sprang".

Comment

no dueling banjo's

Sorry, guy's nice try but this gal has a 45 (remeber the photos she posted?) and the banjo crossover doesn't exist on this model, I would go with no spring, bad repop shut off, or possible vent problem in the gas cap, although this would tend to cause a problem all the time. L.A. we need more info.

Comment

I have run into this problem before and I found that the gas cap rubber gasket had expanded and blocked off the vent in the outside of the cap. I trimmed the gasket on the outside diameter about 1/8 of an inch and it solved the problem. Hope this will solve your problem.
          Carl

Comment

Thanks Carl...will ck it out!

Comment

Working...
            X