1948 Flight Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Flight Red

Iam looking for the paint code for 1948 Flight Red. I would like to find it for PPG Deltron Base Coat Clear Coat System. I have been able to locate the original paint code however this code is obsolete.

I would also be interested in finding a paint chip in this color, or sources as to where I may be able to buy this paint mixed in PPG.

D Howe

Paint Chips

Try Antique Cycle Supply 616-636-4028 (Questions Dept.) They sell $5.00 postcards with a quarter size drop of specific acyrlic enamel and lacquer colors; "available with a complete painter's reference manual that lists the orginal colors available for each year 1903-1976." You can prime with PPG lacquer (DZ-3, gray); paint with PPG acrylic lacquer and clear coat with DAU-75. Caution: The clear coat hardener (DU-4) contains poisonous isocyanates.

Comment

Isocyanates

The use of the catalyst hardener requires that the painter use a fresh-air system; however, I sprayed my 45-50 hanging parts outside on a windless morning using a (half mask) cannister respirator wearing vinyl surgical gloves and a long sleeve shirt taped at the wrist. I asked the PPG dealer what he thought about my method and he said, "Uh-hmm..well you'll probably be OK". My brother painted PPG Color Concept in his garage enclosed in a visquine (plastic sheeting) tent, with a fan pointed towards the outside, to remove fumes and reported no health problems. Note: He just bought a GTI-620G DeVilbliss from (www.allsprayguns.com) and got a hundred bucks off list-retail. The gun is HVLP and came with three diffferent size nozzles. Will spray primer, basecoat and clear.
      How did Blake put pinlines on his Sportster tank (www.hometown.aol.com/patsywbp/mypage.html) that didn't leave a ridge?
      "Yep, first I painted the white. I sprayed white over an area greater than the white panels would be.
      2nd was to tape out the white panels and paint the tank red (the red over white is thicker).
      3rd was to run a 1/8" wide plastic tape right over the point where the red and white meet.
      4th was to run a strip of this 1/8" inch tape on the inside, and on the outside of the step #3 tape. Then I pull that 3rd step tape off and painted it heavily with black paint. That is the stripe.
      After that, I sanded the whole tank to a flat finish. The red, the white and the black stripe are all flat and dulled after this. (But, the black is still the highest, [thickest] of any of the coats, relative to the bare metal.)
      Then, I shot three coats of clear, which had a combined thickness greater than "the highest coat" of any of the three colors. This means the top surface of the clear is flat and smooth. If you could cut a cross section thru the paint depth, you would find the clear is thickest above the white, then a little thinner above the red; and the black stripe would have the thinnest thickness of clear over it, but still thick enough to be level and glossy over all of the surfaces. Sorry about the long explanation, but that's the thought process I go through to explain it."

Comment

Working...
      X