metal working/shapeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal working/shapeing

Interested in restoration metal working? I sure am. I was just looking at a very complexed small piece (sheet metal, side engine panel) from 1902. I'm starting to see now -how the carriage trade guys made the transition into doing other stuff.

Kent White (The Tin Man) who learned from the best at Harrah's has been doing it for 30 years. He also has done a good job at cornering the internet market on metal working .coms' . Take a look at his fantastic chain of web sites and learn a few tricks of the trade. Yes, it's heavily commercialized but also contains alot of useful information. Lots of info on aluminum for cars and planes. If you click "Sources" bottom left menu, and then scroll to the bottom of that page. You will see a listing of all the sites that he has linked up. I enjoyed reading about the english wheel, the air hammer, and hand work. An excellent read.

Strangely this is the stuff I think about when looking at severly dented parts. ie. gas tanks. Or contemplating undertaking my own metal reproduction fabricating some day.
    http://www.metal-working.com

Additionally I found this really casual yak session to be funny, and very informative! A guy (Wray Schelin) demonstrating an english wheel with step by step pictures. From the artmetal web site.
    http://www.artmetal.com/village/chat...01MN.htm#wheel
    If you have experience pounding metal by hand. *(not the result of a road side electrical failure) I'd really like to hear from you. Or any comments about the above two sites.

I tracked Wray to this international group also. Great photos of the group get togethers *Note you can make bench mounted English wheels. Hummmmm......
    http://www.metalshapers.org/

Paul,
    If you really want to see some craftsmen at work I suggest going to the annual airshow in Oshkosh Wi. I have been going for almost 30years now. In the metal shop you can watch the old timers form a flat piece of metal into a cowl for a 30's era Waco or a metal wheel pant for a 170 cessna! pure magic. I had a 7" j-slot aircleaner i took there a few years ago and let a guy take a whack at it and it came out perfect including the 3" flat circle in the center, I asked if they would do more and he said Why I just showed you how! FatDog

Comment

Hi Ya, Happy Easter!
      Yes, I saw some pictures from that show. Very cool. I'll try to make it someday. How many guys do they get doing demos? I'm thinking of expanding my hammer collection and going out to a friends barn/work shop to give a few things a whack. The hammering may drive a few locals over the edge. The English wheel really is magic to me. I wasn't aware that you could use it also- to reduce for fit.

Some VERY sad aviation news out here these days. Award winning 1938 Boeing 307 Stratoliner -$700,000 and countless man hours in the salt water. Landing gear trouble???
      Thankfully a text book water ditch manouver. Very nice. Check out the video.
      I look forward to seeing this beauties second rebirth.
      King5 -local news

Comment

Sheetmetal work

I am interested in sheetmetal work but I am also very fortunate. One of my best buddys is, in my opinion, among the best aircraft sheetmetal artisans in the world. This guy can make anything out of metal and make repairs that are amazing. Yes, I have used his skills on my 63 FLH, work trailer, horse trailer etc. I guess we are all good at something, sheetmetal fabrication and repair is not one of mine...it is a good thing that I know a little bit about electricity and carpentry! DAD63

Comment

metal work

i'm working on an aluminum gas tank for a triton.
          after reading an artical in a magazine and watching a video
          it may turn out looking reasonably well for a first attempt. using nothing but hand tools you can do a fairly good job.
          However an english wheel or air tools would speed it up you may get in trouble faster also. If you want to see some good work get ron corvel's video. It's pretty amazing(hand tools only).

Comment

Working...
          X