Deluxe Buddy Seat Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluxe Buddy Seat Restoration

OK - this one is for the guys that own the "new" Pan Heads with the Vinyl covered deluxe buddy seats. Has anyone found someone that is restoring these? I'm currently following up on a lead from Connan's Classics about a guy that apparently does a good job, but was wondering if there is anyoone on this list that has had a positive experience they'd like to recommend as well. I have a '65 pan, and the origianl smooth top vinyl seat had the gold piping. I'm currently using a newer seat from a '68 until I can find someone who can restore that original.

Ray

Almost all saddlemakers seem to refuse to work with vinyl, so we are doomed to search among automotive re-upholsterers.

If your vinyl is intact, I have had fantastic results with Marhyde (Bondo Corp,.; available from better paint stores).
    If applied after a pre-cleaning with MEK, it gives a very durable and fresh finish. It is available in many colors, although you will have to tape off the piping. The satin finishes work best, and will even fill small abrasions and hide small repairs.

My '65 has a smooth black over white seat, but no gold piping. The red over white ones I have seen do.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! But, alas - the vinyl on my original is complete but has several crack-thru areas around the nose and the seam around the bottom is seperated (cracked through) almost all the way around

I'll definitely need to find someone who can do good work trying to match the vinyl.

The referral from Conan that I mentioned is a long-time upholsterer in the Chicago Area. Left him a voice mail. I'll post my findings to this list as things develop.

Luckily my seat is complete, though and hopefully I can get the builder to reuse the old piping, if possible.

Comment

PAN SEAT COVERING

I HAD MY SEAT COVERED ON MY 1960 PAN 2 TONE RED AND WHITE. I GOT 99 POINTS 2 YEARS IN A ROW WITH THE AMCA. EVERYONE ALWAYS COMMENTS HOW NICE THE SEAT LOOKS. NORTHLAND INDUSTRIES-C-G FACTORY STORE
        IN STAFFORDVILLE CT-THEY DID THE JOB FOR ME. TALK TO MORRIS HE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU.

Comment

Update on 60PANMAN Reference

Hey '60 - did get hold of Morris at Northland Industries. Going to drop my seat off when I get up to Connecticut on business 1st week of May. Sounds very promising, he remembered the red/white seat. Said gold bead wouldn't be a problem, etc.

Very personable on the phone. Says they do this all the time, etc.

Here's some more detail for others who are interested:

Northland Industries
          49 New City Rd.
          Staffordville, CT 06076

Main # 860-684-7622
          Factory Store # 860-684-6405 (Ask For Morris)

I'll update more as things develop.

Make/sell motorcycle seats, lifts, HD parts, etc.

Ray

Comment

Working...
          X