No announcement yet.

Confused by American slang expressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by American slang expressions?

Knut - this one is for you. A site listing the origin of American words and expressions. Some fall in and out of fashion with the times. But fairly interesting stuff.
    word detective

Merriam-Webster Dictionary web site will allow you to hear the english word pronounced/spoken.
    m-w.com

Your english is very good. Just trying to help some folks out a little.

American slang

Hi Paul!

Thank you for helping me with my english. For me it is very hard to express myself in a forreign language.

Here is one example:

Last November I visited California, and while I was there I whanted to see some big Sequoia's (the tree). I sendt an e-mail to my wifes relatives living in LA saying that I whanted to see the "big threes" while I was there. She responded asking what the big threes are (she was thinking about the theme parks....), and we still joke about that.

Last year I visited your country twice, and I have plans for a trip this year too (to Las Vegas in September), so If you know of anything happening in the region please reply....:-) Last November I visited the Peterson Museum in West Los Angeles, and the Art of Motorcycle in Las Vegas after getting directed there in this forum.

In all my literature the Otis Chandler museum of transportation owns a lot of bikes that I like. Could anyone tell me where the museum is??

Comment

Museum

Otis Chandler Museum of Transportation
      1421 Emerson Ave.
      Oxnard, Ca. 93033

(805) 486-5929

www.vft.org/vftocmuseum.htm

Geo

Comment

Museum

Thanks Geo. I will keep this in mind....:-)

Comment

Ordering a pepperoni pizza in Italy got me a pizza w/ hot peppers on it. Sausage, or meat may have been a better word to use. So I can understand a little.

Comment

Working...
          X