Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rumi Moto story in english- Part one

You restored a WHAT? Never heard of it.

When talking Italian bikes I was only aware of about five or six manufactures. Rumi was new to me. I’m not really into italian bikes but the Rumi story is fairly interesting. So, feeling pretty ignorant, I decided to do some digging.

Rumi in Brief: Donnino Rumi (an artist -painter/sculpter) and Peter Vassena (a marine engine technician) built Rumi moto. In production from 1949-62. Rumi machines were unique in that many body design decisions were made purely for aesthetic/arrow dynamic reasons. The motors were small parallel horizontal twins. The Rumi bikes have the most creative integrated gas tank designs that I have ever seen. I also think that Rumi developed and designed his own unique bolt head. Main engine mount bolts are circular with an insert for a "four leaf clover" type of large screw driver. *Ooops it's just a Lrg No. 4 Robertson with rounded/curved insert sides. Rumi had some great sucesses on the european racing circut of the time. Donnino Rumi did not participate in WWII.

You can go to this web site to see pictures if you want.
    http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/cyberbike/rumi.htm
    Rumi web site
    ahhhhhh....the site is down now.

I was very surprised that the Guggenheim “Art of the Motorcycle” didn’t have a Rumi in the show? An awesome web site! Take a look.
    The Gugg

If you can add more Rumi info, I would be greatful.

*The text below was translated with the "bable fish" translation engine from Alta vista. It does a literal translation so you may have to re-read some sentences to understand the intended meaning. The good thing, is that it seems that alot of the text and photos have been taken from the 1.5 inch thick book. "RUMI: The Motion of the Artist" Which, is the only book about Rumi and is printed entirely in Italian.

Models Produced:
    SPORT, 1950-58
    FORMICHINO (scooter- nickname=the little ant), 1954-60
    GOBBETTO (factory racer- I think) 1951-55
    TURISMO, (FIRST SERIES) 1950-56
    BICARBURATORE SS, 1953-56
    JUNIOR, (production racer) 1955-59
    GT GRANTURISMO 200, 1953-56
    SCOIATTOLO (scooter), 1951-57
    GENTLEMAN 1959-62
    REGOLARITA' (off road),
    REGOLARITA' SEI GIORNI (off road),