Kokomo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kokomo

I recently acquired a 1910 book of correspondence written by the Kokomo general manager that has quite a bit of information about this marque if any one is interested. This is a bound volume of carbon copies of about 100-125 letters in readable but not great condition. Anybody have suggestions about how to best preserve something like this? Thanks, John Hasty

Is the paper brittle? How is it bound? Glue spine, Hole punch? Has it been typed or hand written? What are the dimentions of a single sheet - 8.5 x11?

Comment

Paul:
      The pages measure 10 inches x 12 inches. It is a hard bound glued spine book of hand written letters all within the year 1910. The paper is very thin. The ink has run on some pages so not all are readable. I believe these were probably copies of letters that stayed in this book as a record for the Kokomo company. I believe the book is limber enough to allow photocoping or scanning to put on CD. The last entry is December 22, 1910.

A general idea of the content: The early letters are inquires to sources for parts to build the bike. Foundrys, frame makers, seats, etc. Later in the year of 1910 the letters are soliciting stock buyers, attempting to sell machines, and trying to establish dealerships.

I probably run the risk of getting into politics by saying this but I will anyway. I know this belongs in a archive somewhere but after the museum deal with the AMA I am not sure I am comfortable donating to them. All I know about that situtation was what I read in the magazine but somehow get the idea the AMCA got the short end of the stick. No real rush I guess, it can collect dust in my garage for a few years.

Comment

Hi John,
        A few months back I was restoring and cleaning some Panoramic photos. They had been rolled for 40 or so yrs. Emulsion cracks when unrolled. So- to get them flexible and flat I took them in the bathroom (on counter) and took hot shower. Sounds dumb, but what this does is puts moisture back into the paper and emulsion). A more controled environment is to do it in an enclosed sealed container with a dish of water. Takes many days. Book should be in an open fan pos. so all pages get humigated evenly. Is that even a word?

This moisture is critical as it will give the pages some flexibility when handling them.

I wonder if the Vatican has any info on doing restoration stuff. Hummmm...
        My concern is if you've got onion paper? or a bible type paper? Or what? I don't know.

A blotter sheet was commonly throw into books once the writting was finished. Throw it in -close it up. If ya don't , she smears.

I would scan it 200ppi. Place a box beside scanner so that other half of book is supported (level) when laid flat on bed. Most standard flatbed scanners are 8.5" width x 14 L. So you may have to cut a (blank?) margin off of paper. *visually not physically. Once you got your individual pages at 200ppi. (painfully done by hand) on CD. Then you can turn them into what ever you want. ie PDF.

Lable the individual pages starting at 01, 02, 03, ---it helps. Technical thing.

If you can't locate a 11x17 flatbed scanner. (they make'em) You make have to go to a traditional copy camera. Slide film in an over head mounted camera. w/ two lights at 45 shining in from L and Right. Slide film would them be scanned and turned into PDF.

Direct contact is much better as it is first generation. The slide film would be two steps (gen). So I don't recommend.

Once that puppy is digital you can knock off CDs. Or do a pay per dwnload via a private non linked web pg. You just have to email the private link directly to folks once the money clears. They can burn on there end.

200ppi is good because it limits the resolution needed for exact reproduction. 300ppi is cutting it close and really only adds to the ultimate file size in the end. At 200ppi compressed Jpeg as PDF -you would come out with a final file size of about 30- 35MB. A hefty download if you ain't got a high speed connection. Not a big deal if your knocking off CDs. Max. capacity 650MB.

If you want to get really fancy! You can transpose the hand written text to digital type and place it under the photo image of each page (in PDF). So as to assist folks when they cannot make out worth beans what they are reading. ****py orig. image/hand writing etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

It sounds as though you have a letterpress book. These were a part of very common office duplicating system in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Some of the ink on the original correspondence was transferred to the tissue paper in the letter- pressbook. The process took place in a heavy iron press. Today, it seems like an odd fixture for an office, but when there was no other means of copying, I suppose it wasn't so bad.
          By all means keep the pages dry or you may risk further smears. Storage would probably be best in an acid-free archival storage box. You could locate a supplier on the internet. Have you considered America's museum--the Smithsonian-- as a home for the book??

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks guys for the excellent information and ideas. This forum is getting better all the time!

Comment

Woo-ha, If you have got paper as thin as tissue and it is flexible (doesn't crumble when handled). Do not add moisture obviously. I was thinking of this the other day, and your situation. I'm sending you a direct email regarding 11x17 scanners.

An auto document feeder will destroy the pages. Must do it painfully -by hand. esp. if it is bound. Possibly with a solid white piece of paper backing page being scanned to eliminate show through of second pg.

Acid free box is a good idea. But I would also insert acid free sheets inside front and back covers to isolate main body of pages from the cover and its inner cover pg.

If you donate it. Museum will take care of it. Also remember that a place like the Smithsonian will have a temperature and humidity controlled environment.

Photography suppliers carry acid free boxes.

Comment

Working...
              X