Prestolite acetylene tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestolite acetylene tanks

I am in the process of trying to retore the lighting on an early machine. It has Acetylene lights and a Pestolite tank. The tank has been restored but now comes the problem. Because of its age no one wants to fill it. It was suggested by someone that I get it hydrostatically tested then I should be able to get it filled..
    After talking to my local Air Products vender I don't think he would fill it even if I could figure out where to have it tested and certified. Anyone out there with any experience doing this? I know that at the car shows it isn't uncommon to see
    Acetylene lights working. (Of course they could hide a small modern tank somewhere where you wouldn't notice)

Prest-O-Lite tank

Hi Greg!

I am not sure if this helps you, but here in Norway there is no problems with filling the tanks after a test. Several people have done that, but the test itself is quite expensive. Over here the AGA tank is the most common one. This is a swedish brand, and used on all bikes in Scandinavia. Lights was considered extra equipment, and was mounted here in Norway by the shop selling the bike. Therefor it is hard to say that Indian used Old Sol, Henderson used Solar and so on. The shop mounted the light equipment they had in stock at the time.

Keep in mind that the acetylene lights is almost as effective as a match. What I am saying is don't drive in the dark....

My Prest-O-Lite tank is still empty. I have just sold my 1916 Indian, and I no longer have a bike to use it on. That is hopefuly just a temporary problem. I hope that at least....:-)

Comment

I knew the situation was different in Europe when it came to electrics. I guess it would be only natural that there was a different Acetylene company.
      I recall that scouts were sent to Europe with front stands, double rear brakes. No mag not generator. Apparently the Bosch mag was preferred in Europe (its a great mag). Americans were in an
      anti-german mode and didn't even go for the American Bosch products. Either mag dynos or mags with acetylene seemed to be favored.
      Oh, I wasn't planning on night driving on a 1916 Thor with marginal brakes and Acetylene headlights. Maybe back in 1916 it was safe enough but today it will get you run over. I just have the urge to get ALL of the bike running. I have only seen an Acetylene headlight running once. No one bothers.

Comment

D.A. cylinders

Hi Greg
        What I'm about to post here no doubt breaks all sorts of rules and regulations so if anyone what-so-ever tries this they do so at their own peril and risk.
        Prestolite or Dissolved Acetelene cylinders as they are known in N.Z. were used by Kiwi plumbers a lot a few years back, in the days of copper water pipes, when they had to crawl under houses to solder joints or leaks. As they were much easier to carry under buildings than the smallest available D type cylinder they were part of most plumbers kit.
        The last D.A. cylinder I acquired came from one of these tradesmen and out of interest I asked how he managed to convince N.Z. Industrial Gases to fill it as up until now they have flatly refused to fill them for me. He led me into his workshop and proceeded to hook the Prestolite cylinder up to a large capacity acetelene cylinder he had there and filled the small cylinder from that.
        I have since used this method to put enough gas into my cylinder to enable gas lights to be run for short periods.
        I wouldn't recommend trying to fill the cylinder right up and only ever put enough in mine to get the gauge reading about halfway between empty and one quarter full.
        Obviously great care must be taken to inspect the cylinder carefully before any attempt is made to add gas to it and if it has any rust pits and/or defects no attempt should be made to add gas to them.
        Once again "YOU ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK"
        Greg please be careful and although I have done this numerous times I would not like to think someone got hurt doing something I suggested.
        I am in no way suggesting anyone should break any laws their country may have that prohibits this practice.
        Regards Tommo.

Comment

Tommo;

Thanks for your reply. I had discussed this with several persons. One told me it would take forever without a pump. I was also warned that Acetylene in its gaseous form can not be safely compressed beyond 25 lbs and that if disolved in Acetylene it can safely be compressed to 200lbs. The warnings I got about Acetylene reacting with copper etc. made me a little worried. I suppose if I drag the acetylene tank into the woods and put a minimum of Acetylene in then it would be safe enough however I am looking for a better solution. I think I might just buy a small tank and put it inside an outer false tank.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg, I'm sure your aware of this, but just thought I might mention it. Be super careful with your flame adjustment as heat may crack the front glass or rear reflector. Well.. maybe this may help someone.

Apparently it is pretty common for someone to slip an automotive burner into a smaller lamp just to make it complete.

A funny note: It was not uncommon for guys to take a leak into the rear container if they were to run out of water/gas on the way home.

I found a company on-line that supplies Calcium Carbide for high school chem. labs. science kits. -300grams for 8 bucks.

A nice quick brief about Carl G. Fisher (Prest-O-Lite) . An intersting guy.click Indy 500 and Lincoln hwy. built to promote distance driving. Sell more cars, and lights. Union Carbide bought Prest-O-Lite for 9 million in 1913. Wow! Alot of cash for 1913.

Comment

Just an adendum to this thread. Mike Smith is now making reproduction Pestolite tanks. They are hollow empty and have non-functional valve and gauge. They look great though. I think I will use one as a false cover on a real (modern) acetylene tank.
              As another note, I recently bought some Carbide and fired up a few of the Carbide headlights I own. Surprised the heck out of me 3 of them fired right up. I was doing it at night and at one point had to go outside to get something from my car so I used one as a flashlight. Pretty cool but a very ineffective light. I can't imagine traveling at night in 1910 using a carbide lamp. Aside from attracting moths it wouldn't do much

Comment

Hello Greg , I know this is an old thread but was looking how I might be able to put some acetylene in my 1916 Excelsior 'Pest-O-lite tank . Thanks Tommo for the suggestion of putting some acetylene in from a large bottle !! so I tried and have lights !!!!! well sort of , see pics !!! don't think I'll just rely on this but on the plus side IF out on a cold winters day , one can warm ones hands as it's like a stove above the lamp !! keep the suggestions coming !! thanks , Ken
                Attached Files
                Ken

Comment

Working...
                X