Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censorship

It has been discussed on VI that the AMCA buletin board is or is
    not censored. I read in the minutes of the winter magazine that the buletin board was censored for vulgarity and foul language.
    Which by the way I heartily approve of. I would like Paul Edwars
    to discuss with other AMCA the circumstances surrounding the
    censorship of my post last year which was neither vulgar or even derogatory. Paul, if you recall you told me you deleted it and never kept a copy. Later of course we find that you sent a copy to Peter Gagan, Jerry Ottoway and several other board members. Would you be willing to state that this did or did not then lead to me resigning over the incident? And can you show the other list members this letter which YOU felt needed to be censored?
    or did someone other than you make the decision to censor it?

Greg Walter MD
    ex- AMCA board member

Hi Greg Walter! Merry Christmas! Good to hear from you.

I'm back from the land of Barbie, Groovy Girls, deep sea exploration (snorkel and mask in the tub), and all that is splarkly and OH! so pretty. I survived.

Ok, So... by the sounds of your post you are upset. Which saddens me. As I felt that you could have used the opportunity to address the AMCA board and have had some sort of constructive action or decision made about your feelings. But instead, you quit.

I was really impressed with the board and how it is run for the club. I can assure all members that it is a VERY democratic process. Change happens slowly. There are only 2 board meetings a year.

If I could Greg, let me first address a few points.

1. As the exerpt paragraph states below (from the *Welcome/Announcements/Disclaimer) area top of the bulletin board.

"You further agree not to use the Site or Application to send or post on message boards or any place on the Site or Application, any message, material or user name that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, racially offensive, or inaccurate material of any kind or nature or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or encourage the use of controlled substances. The AMCA reserves the right to delete any such material from the Site or Application."

2. As a board member why were you trying to address issues to the membership on the newly created bulletin board as opposed to addressing the issues to the board.

3. A few other members on the bulletin board said they didn't want to hear it. (*let me stress members)

4. Other board members needed to be aware of what you were saying. I directed them to the bulletin board. What's wrong with that?

5. I deleted it. And did not save a copy for YOUR benefit.

6. If members want to get up on the "soap box" and say their bit. This is the place to do it. But please try to remember that we all have feelings. Try to be constructive.

7. I value your input, knowledge, friendship and all of the good things that you can bring to the AMCA and its membership.

8. This is my last post regarding this issue. I will not respond to further comment as I feel that it would not be constructive or beneficial to the club, or its membership, in any way.

OK, that pretty much lays it out for me. I'm a very liberal, easy going, kinda guy. I feel being constructive and positive takes some work, thought and effort, but will always help to take you much further in the end.

Have a Happy New Year. Savor and enjoy the small stuff. Cause you never know what's com'in around the corner.

thewebguy - Paul Edwards -

Comment

Paul;
      I'm afraid you don't have all of the facts and since this bulletin board wouldn't print the facts I won't use it as forum to set the record straight. My only point in posting my letter was to highlight the fact that this chat room is censored and unfortunatly the magazine is censored and the agenda at the AMCA board meeting is censored (maybe that isn't the right term) but I think that leaves very little room for constructive criticism by the membership.

Comment

I you want to add some constructive crit. Go for it! I won't stop you.

Comment

I guess my only constructive criticism has alrady been said. I think that censoring content on this board is a bad idea. Wat to one person might be constructive cticism you might decide is not. What several club members feel is constructive criticism Rick Shunk has labeled "whining".
          I think bikers as a group value their freedoms highly.
          Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press amoung them.
          How does one have a"general open discussion" as the site say suggests when you add the
          proviso "as long as I think it is constructiive criticism"

Comment

Working...
          X