• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone provide anymore information on this 1908 motorcycle

Hi there all
    I am trying to get some correct information on this 1908 ADK

Does anyone have any pictures or references to one

I have got a little information from the net..

Any help would be most appreciated

Pictures and the information I have so far are located at:

http://jon-paul.bingham.tripod.com/1...rcycleforsale/

Cheers - ps. in two mids if to sell or not - the more inform I get the less I'll sell and I know very little about this machine

Hi Jon: Nice to visit last night. Your web site looks good! Should get the keyways cut next week and have your parts ready to send. Will let you know beforhand. Would like to see picture of that inside sprocket attachment that we talked about.
    John Hasty

Comment

Shaw sprocket

Hi John,
      Good thanking to you too...
      What I am going to do is scan the sprocket so you'll have 1:1 'drawing' of it.

Thanks for looking at the homepage - I have to do some more work on it, I have lots of things to add about the L24 BSA etc.

Also may do a progress status diary on Shaw 3
      -now I am getting all computerised LOL

Well hear from you soon

(I've added you to the buddy list)

JP

Comment

Abingdon King **** M/Cs

Greetings,
        Here in N.Z. there are at least 7 Abingdon King ****'s that I know of, 5 singles and 2 vee twins,and by searching a collection of the "Motor Cycle" magazine of that era I have come up with the following notes which I must emphasize are unproven conclusions following research on these bikes over the last 8 to 10 years.
        1903 to 1924 Known as Abingdon or Abingdon King ****. It wasn't until 1925 that the name was abbreviated to A.K.D.
        1903 to 04/05? The company was called "Coxeter & Sons" and was based in Abingdon in Berkshire.
        1904/05? Name changed to "Abingdon - Echo" and relocated to Birmingham.
        1903 to 1907 Used "M.M.C. / Minerva / Kerry and Fafnir" engines
        1907 to 1914/15? Rebadged their machines as "Kerry - Abingdon" for the "East London Rubber Company."
        1911 Was the last year of the "open" Bosch magneto.
        1911 T.T. models had a dropped frame.
        1912 Vallance fitted to the front mudguard from behind the fork blades to the bottom tip.
        1912 T.T. models had a dropped frame as per 1911.
        1913 All models had dropped frames.
        All 1912 models came with a cast bulldog mascot mounted on the front number plate blade.
        From 1908 on all engine timing covers had a bulldog head and the words Abingdon King **** cast on them.
        Up until 1912 the petrol tank had at the front a transfer with the words Abingdon King **** and between Abingdon & King was the bulldog head. At the rear of the tank was another transfer with the words "Trade Mark" above the bulldog head under which were the words "King ****" and under this again in a inverted rocker were the words Abingdon Echo Ltd
        Birmingham
        I have all the magazines from which this information was obtained and am prepared to photocopy it all for you if thats what you require. I also can photograph a completely original and unrestored 1911 model. The tank transfers are as good as the day it left the factory.
        Hope this is of some assistance.
        Yours in motorcycling,
        Tommo.

Comment

A.K.D.

OOP'S
          When I viewed my reply to your query I see that some words are automatically censored so I hope you know what **** means.
          Perhaps I'll get away with saying it starts with D and ends with K and is the shortened version of the name Richard.
          This must be the motorcycle version of charades.
          No prize for getting the answer correct.
          Tommo

Comment

The word Dick has been removed from the censor list. Richards everywhere can rejoice.

A few bugs to work out. Sorry.

Comment

Meassage for Tommo

Hi Tommo Good to hear from you
              How far are you from Massey University?
              I'll be working there fora few months in August 2002
              Meanwhile will be very interested to get those items

All the best JP

E-mail: jon-paul.bingham@yale.edu

Comment

King Dick correction

Greetings, Jon-Paul.

In my post regarding Abingdon King Dick motorcycles I incorrectly stated that the Bulldog head was cast onto the outer timing case cover from 1908 on.
                Further research shows that the Bulldog head did not appear on the outer timing case cover until 1912.
                I sincerely hope I haven't caused any problems by supplying information that wasn't correct and that viewers will look at this post and see the correction.
                Sorry about this.

Regards, Tommo

Comment

Working...
                X