For sale/wanted adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For sale/wanted adverts

A letter was proposed to the membership in the September zine. Asking for input regarding the posting of this information on the web site. Four letters were received back from the membership. Three against. One Pro. The board acted on this response and said no.

Would you like to see want ads up on this site? Vote in the poll above.

Classified adverts in a live database would be searchable.
    Yes- with a 5-7 day delay from magazine delivery.
    0%
    No- It's not necessary.
    0%

Classifieds

I vote yes but... to another option, how about real time postings not just reprinting the ads from the magazine.

Comment

This is possible. With photos also.
      Trying to be fair to all the members that do not have internet access. Which... is alot of folks. ie.have and have not. You have to consider this and its implications to the magazine which is the main voice of the club. I would like to hear from other members. Please voice an opion on this. Thanks.

Comment

Posting classifieds on this web site would only add to the hobby,I cannot see how it would be detrimental (all the REALLY good parts and bikes ain't for sale,anyway).In todays world,computer searches are a fascinating way to pursue old car/bike stuff.Its inevitable the AMCA post classifieds.
        And the magazine classifieds are not the reason I joined the AMCA. The magazine itself is the highest quality motorcycle reading and visual material ever,hands down.
        Perhaps just post parts ads that are emailed and leave the magazine ads as they are,seperate.

Comment

best read coments in "Make suggestions, share ideas"

best read comments in "Make suggestions, share ideas"

I could go either way - but I have concerns.

This is what I would like to see.....

The same magazine ads available to members X amounts days after the magazine has been sent.

The ads then to become avaliable after Y amount of days to general public.

Additional ads can be placed on the net by members only - and they can have choice for club viewing or delayed public viewing....

I have not idea how this could be done or managed

PS you are doing a great job!

Comment

I can set the classifieds area to be viewable only to bulliten board registered members (AMCA members). ie. if you come on the board as a guest you will only see a section title. no adverts.

I do check the board registered membership numbers to individuals names. Which must sync. Twenty bucks a yr for membership and the magazine is a steal. Even if you have a moderate interest in the hobby. My personal feeling. The press run is not that big. Look at the value for your dollar. It's incredible! Rick Schunk (Editor) does a great job!

Classifieds would be dated. And catagorized into appropriate sections. Newest ad being on the top. I could set the sections to auto clear/delete quarterly to keep them fresh? You would be aware of the three month time limit. Relisting would be easy. Free photo placement with your advert. This would help clear up alot of questions about condition. Seller could delete advert or let it expire.

Reading Georges makes my eyes bleed. I like the resource, my eyes don't. I just can't do it. I love being able to just plug in a search word to scan and pull back everything I'm interested in at that moment.

Criteria would be set for the type of items being posted. I would delete inappropriate stuff. and/or block if nessessary. Moderators could be assigned. 98% of people are good.

It's always strange getting a phone call 3yrs after you've sold something because you advert was on some old list somewhere. esp. when the caller is really excited. Sad...having to let them down.

This is quickly turning into a hot issue to be discussed at Florida board meeting. Ahhhh...hopefully added to the agenda. I will ask some board members to get it on. And get this resolved. Please post your comments suggestions/input/ideas.

How about a just a classified section on the bulliten board. Email your advert to the zine for double coverage? That would be simple.

Comment

I like the idea of ads. So much stuff is going on Ebay and the time between different members receiving the magazine can be a week or more. I don't think less ads in the magazine detracts from it at all and could leave more valuable pages for content. While it is true that some people without computers would be put at a disadvantage the future is here and we must keep embracing it to remain a viable club. I think when this forum gets hyped up in the magazine and the meets this coming year you will see a lot more activity. It sounds like the AdminGuy has the right idea of how to execute this.

Comment

classifieds

Come on!!! It's time already---- let's get the classifieds on the web. This will be the most valuable section , of course, and will likely bring in more members besides. Sellers could list their e-mail addresses so direct responses could be linked. I say let's do it!!!! Also--- classifieds should be viewable by members only-- I firmly believe that.

Comment

Classified on the web

I don't expect to see the Winter 2001 Issue of the magazine for at least another 4 weeks as it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to get to N.Z.

Remember the club is expanding worldwide and generally those of us outside the U.S. that respond to classifieds in the magazine find that we are too late, so I say go for it, and if possible limit participation to club members only. Maybe this would be able to show non-members what they are missing and encourage them to join the club.

I think you would also find that the overseas members would be more likely to offer parts for sale on the web as against in the magazine. Whereas I doubt I would ever sell via the magazine I would certainly use a classified on the web service so long as it was CLUB MEMBERS ONLY.

My thoughts anyway.

Regards Tommo

Comment

Adds

Tommo's problems are very familiar to me living in Norway. I don't even bather to call for parts/bikes that I find in the magazine anymore because they are allways sold when I get the magazine. For me it would be perfect to have online adds, and I think it would attract a lot of new members if the adds are members only.

P.S. In some way one of the sentence structures in this reply don't sound very good in English, but I am a norwegian and you guys have to just deal with it......:-)

Comment

Winter Issue 2001

When you think about the sun it shines!

Today, january 2. 2002, I received the winter issue 2001 in the mail. Yesterday I wrote a reply about receiving the magazine late. I guess that all you US members got your 2001 issues in 2001! This means that I am several weeks late compared to you....:-(

Comment

I hear ya.

Comment

Yeah, but you guys in Europe are always a few hours ahead of us.

Comment

Time difference

Thanks Andy!

It is nice to know that we are ahead of you at least when it comes to sunrise....:-)

Other things are not that great over here. The old norwegian motorcycle Tempo is not as great in my eyes as Ace, Henderson, Excelsior, Cleveland, Indian, Harley Davidson, Yale and others. The nearest I can come as an norwegian is Iver Johnson. Some norwegian blood should flow in his veins.

I will enclose a picture of a 1953 Tempo Standard for you to look at. Have fun!

I guess that the AdminGuy, Paul, soon are going to kick me in my back for not sticking to the subject in this thread so....
                            Attached Files

Comment

classified ads

Of course we should be posting classified ads on this site. The question seems to be a joke to me. I feel the only reason to join the AMCA was to gain access to people with old bikes, to be able to buy the bikes and parts I need.

The newsletter is OK, if you just like to read about Indians. The ads are the only reason I subscribe.

This is the only club that I am a member of that worries about who gets to see the ads, and when they get them. Just post the ads on the website, and if poeple want to see them, they can buy a computer.

PS, George's website is good, but it is only for American bikes. Don't forget that this club is supposed to be for all types of bikes.

regards,
                              pete

Comment

Working...
                              X