Antique Motorcycle" an article and pictures were done on
    period cutdowns or bobbers, bikes that were modified
    at approximately the same time they were new, within
    a few years of being new at least. My question concerns
    how these bikes would be entered and judged at an
    event. Would they be entered against stock unmodified
    bikes or would a seperate catagory be created? How
    would a new catagory be stuctured? Any comments or
    advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cannon

If you know Kevin Valentine the assistant head judge, he is the driving force behind the "period modified" category of judging. The judging couldn't be in the same format as our present AMCA judging because it calls for a more objective right and wrong part or right and wrong paint color. The "period modified" is more of a popularity contest with oldest, most unique, viewers choice type awards. It is kind of difficult for someone to say what the correct front fork for a 60s Harley chopper was. More correctly it is impossible to say.
    Anyway dispite the deviation from the normal AMCA theme it has been very popular.

Greg

Comment

I agree that it would be imposible to judge a period modified bike under the current judging system. But, I also think there is a place for such bikes. For a couple years at the Eustis meet, the Dixie chapter had what they called a Concourse D'Ordinaire. It was for bikes that didn't meet AMCA judging standards but were riders. It seemed very popular with almost as many bikes in it as for Sundays judging. It was not anything serious with trophies such as "least paint". My point is there should be a place for these bikes, after all I think most people have a "beater" bike that is not an 85 pointer. Thanks.

Louie

Comment

Louie
        I love to see bikes that were modified in the time period thy were first bought, if I can get enough support from the membership I will keep trying to get this worked into our regular bike show on Sunday. as some of you know we at Harmony have done a "period Modified" judging on Saturday for the past years, and the turn out is GREAT. every time I presented it before the board the ugly word "CHOPPER" reared it's head and bite me hard. I will NOT give up and will keep trying to get it passed. any one can contact me if they have any ideas on how it should be run.
        Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X