lift stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift stand

A little off topic but relevent. Does anyone have a particular type of lift stand that they use and/or really like? OR hate?

I'm looking at a few different models. Was wondering if anyone has recommendations? Not for specific marque.

Has anyone ever drawn up plans to build/wield your own? It doesn't look that complicated.

Or should I just bite the bullet, and buy it?

Re: lift stand

Originally posted by AdminGuy
    A little off topic but relevent. Does anyone have a particular type of lift stand that they use and/or really like? OR hate?

I'm looking at a few different models. Was wondering if anyone has recommendations? Not for specific marque.

Has anyone ever drawn up plans to build/wield your own? It doesn't look that complicated.

Or should I just bite the bullet, and buy it?
    I have a model called the Iron V Lifts (think the company name is Creative Design) that I've had for at least 10 years. It has worked real well. It was a bit pricy when I bought it but there just weren't many on the market at the time.

I know a lot of folks that have purchased the lift sold by Sam's Club (around $110.00 or so) and have been satisfied. However, a warning is in order on those lifts. A few people have experienced some main (pivot I think) bolt failures (they bent). I'd sure as the devil swap out any bolts that have any stress on it for a new grade 8 before I'd trust it. The good thing is the lift is cheap enough that investing in a few grade 8 bolts is still going to price the unit cheaper than most on the market. The only lift I know of that even comes close to that price is the one sold by Great Northern Tools but I've never seen one so I can't speak to their quality.

MWF

Comment

ground clearance?

Beware that hydraulic lifts won't fit under most rigid framed machines. Simple cantilever types are the most applicable.

Comment

lift

I use the Handy lift from Western in Iowa. they are great people to deal with the lift is top notch (and adaptable for snowmobiles and lawntractors) Fatdog

Comment

Lift Stand

I use the lift from Harbor Freight. As T. Cotten noted, its too tall for a rigid frame. My solution is to roll the wheels up on short sections of 2x4, then the lift fits easily. For $109, its hard to beat.

Comment

My biggest problem is when working on a project with one or both
            wheels off. Not too many of the store bought lifts work. I do well
            with an inexpesive come-along. I then roll a work bench under it
            and I have several Wheel stands that bolt into the axle holes.
            Usually I keep them bolted to the shop ceiling even after the stands are bolted in. Most of my bikes are early more spindly
            bikes from the teens. I suppose if most of the bikes I worked on
            were of a conventional frame and heavier weight then I too would go for the hydraulic.
            Greg

Comment

Lift responce

Thank you very much to all that responded. Due to the fact that I have quite a bit of activity happening in my double car garage I feel that for safety I'm going to go with a height adjustable cantalevered platform. One that I can anchore a bike to securely, no matter what stage it's at. Wooden construction with steel reinforcing. Grade 8 bolts all round. Teflon skid pads. Folds down to 5" height so that car can be parked over top. Hummmm, I need a bigger garage.....

Comment

If you have access to industrial salvage sometimes there are great opportunities. For one hundred dollars I was able to buy a one ton lead-screw lift with a 360 degree indexing, 2' by 3' table of quater inch steel plate. It lifts from 3 inches to 32 inches. My Harley fits nicely, but the Cavalcade is too long to fully rotate unless the front tire is removed.
                There were 30 lifts available when I heard about the sale, I wish now that I had grabbed several instead of just one.

Comment

Bike lift/stand

Take a look at my bike stand. I made it a coupple of years ago after thinking about it for some time, and it works perfect for me.:-)

http://knut.dhs.org/bikebenc.htm

Knut, Eidsvoll

Comment

Very nice job on that stand!! Looks like it would work great on anything, including snowmobiles, riding lawn mowers and more.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X