1970Triumph Bonneville T120R; Re-torqueing Cylinder head bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970Triumph Bonneville T120R; Re-torqueing Cylinder head bolts

I got a 1970 Triumph Bonneville a couple months ago. It had fresh top end work by the previous owner: bored .0020 over, new pistons, rings, valves, and valve guides. According to the Factory Workshop Manual, a new or refurbished engine should have the oil changed at 250, 500, and 1,000 miles, then at the regular intervals. I decided to follow this for a refurbished engine. First I changed the oil as soon as I got it so I knew I was starting fresh. I've since put 500 miles on it and have changed the oil at 250 mi. and again at 500 mi. The original owner's manual doesn't say anything about the 250 or 500 mile oil changes but says to take it back to the dealer at 500 miles for service. I've been told I should re-torque the cylinder head bolts after the break-in period. My question is this: Would the 500 mile dealer service on a new bike have included re-torqueing the cylinder head bolts? I was planning on doing this at 1,000 miles. Any opinions or experience on this, would help in my understanding of this "new to me" old bike. Thank you.

I torque down british bike heads three times.
    1st Initial assembly.
    2nd, after initial warm up to operating temperature
    3rd, after riding for 100-500 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
      I torque down british bike heads three times.
      1st Initial assembly.
      2nd, after initial warm up to operating temperature
      3rd, after riding for 100-500 miles.
      Thanks for the input. I went ahead and re-torqued the cylinder head bolts. A couple took up a fair bit before hitting the 18 lb. spec. I think I'll check them again at 1,000 miles and check the valve adjustment. At least that's another recommendation I got, so why not. Can't hurt I guess. Then just ride and maintain it according to the normal schedules. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X