Mechanical to hydraulic brake conversion backing plate anchor point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical to hydraulic brake conversion backing plate anchor point

Converting 1951 LE frame from mechanical to hydraulic brakes. Using 1958-62 backing plate and drum. I do not understand how you anchor the backing plate stud to the frame. is there a part in parts book I cannot find that connects backing plate anchor stud to a anchor point on frame. I found mention of a 87660-58 on web, but cannot any photos or anyone that has one for sale. Not sure if this part is relevant for what I need. Any photo of the anchoring method would be appreciated. Here are photos of my frame at axle and backing plate I am using.
    Attached Files

The part is called a tie-bar and is illustrated in the '61 parts book. That is the right part number.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Buster,
      Do you have the anchor pin and parts for your backing plate?
      Last edited by ryan; 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I have wheel cylinder, small block at bottom, and anchor stud.

Comment

Buster,
          I sent you a pm. I do not have the tie-bar, but I made a call to a guy that says he is pretty sure he has what you need to do the conversion, the tie-bar with a ball on the end, spacer and hardware.I
          From what I gather, the ball end fits inside where the manual lever comes thru and the other end has a hole in it to secure the anchor stud.
          Last edited by ryan; 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Ryan
            Apparently the PM has not come through to my box. I just talked to the guy I got backing plate, drum etc from and he says he thanks he has the tie bar. He will let me know in next few days and give it to me if he finds it. If he does not have it, I would like to see what your man has. Thanks.

Comment

It made it through that time. Just my phone number.

Comment

I found the tie bar. Here is photo. The side plate bushing which replaces the regular axle sleeve is 87669-58. I believe it to be unobtainable, so I am going to machine one on lathe.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X