Wet sumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sumping

Hello to all! I'm very new to AMCA and the forum. I'm sure somewhere in the forum 'wet sumping' is here, but just learning to navigate the forum. I recently purchase a freshly restored 69' TR6c. The gentleman, (I'm being nice) that I purchased the bike from I'm finding out kinda cut a few corners, aka cheap speedo, battery arrangement, Keihin carb, etc. He assured me the motor was built better than new. To get to my point, after draining the sump, I started the bike 4 days later and what I thought was an excessive amount of oil was pumping out the vent and out the tube exit on the rear fender. Could the oil pump gears be that bad in just a few days of sitting to let that much oil buy?...……..Any help appreciated! Thanks Kevin

Triumph pumps are plunger type, not gear driven. Replacement pumps are easily available and better than OEM. The check ball seats and plungers are likely worn and the pump wasn't replaced in the build.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you Robbie! Will look into this. I'm learning, (with help from nice people like yourself). Thanks again, Kevin

Comment

Hey Robbie, I installed a new pump via Bonneville Shop. Looks to be a well built pump and after speaking with them they confirmed that. I have another question, the oil returning into the tank and the crank case breather tube is a milky color brown color even with new oil installed. Also, it still seems to be sumping an excessive amount. In a week about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. Any ideas on this. This a fresh overhaul, which I believe is true but there are different qualities of overhauls. Thanks, Kevin

Comment

Pretty sure the 'milky/brown' color you're referring to is simply air in the oil. When it's thrashed around in the motor and returned to the oil tank it spurts out looking like a brown, milky mess. Common on my 1948 5T and 3T. If you still have excess oil out the breather, perhaps the lines are air-locked? And need priming? Will be curious to hear what others think.

Comment

Milk is water vapor in the oil - the oil isn't getting hot enough.
            The Linkert Book

Comment

Maybe just frothy? Heard that some old engines and air compressors specify ND 30 oils because they do not froth up and detergent oils do froth up? Maybe? Check the oil appearance after everything has cooled down.

Comment

Hi I don’t want to turn this into a oil thread but I would not put 30wt in a unit twin Castro’s 20/50 new motor 50 miles change 500miles change then ride anywhere good luck

Comment

Hey guys, thank you, thank you for your posts! I have not replied because have been out of town for awhile. Caught the Texas Fandango. For their first year, was great! Not a Davenport, but it has the facility to someday become one. Flat track racing was awesome, and so was the bike show. Now back to my oil problems, now that the weather is great here since we got back, will get the TR6C out and put some miles on the motor and see if I can get it figured out. And Shovelhead, I try and use Castrol 20/50 in all my bikes, thanks. Again Thanks guys, Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X