New 41 Indian SS interested party Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 41 Indian SS interested party Test

Looking to learn the last years of the 45ci Indian Sport Scout..

Looking forward to the Journey..

Cheers,
    Eric

The '42 had square cylinder bases

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      The '42 had square cylinder bases
      The '40 used a DLX128 Schebler carburetor, whereas the '41 and '42 used a Linkert model M641 and M642.

It gets worse, Eric!

...Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-16-2019, 02:34 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Much thanks for the help I am just researching at the moment as the bike is not in my hands yet..

Comment

Thanks the bike I am studying up on is a 1941 sport scout it is all there but it was rode hard and put away wet and has been sitting since the late 1960's

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            The '40 used a DLX128 Schebler carburetor, whereas the '41 and '42 used a Linkert model M641 and M642.

It gets worse, Eric!

...Cotten

Thanks this is not my first go-around with old leaky rusty bikes at least I do not need yet another set of tools Standard, metric, Whitworth I am sure the journey will prove educational.

Comment

Eric, I have also been pondering a 1941 Sport Scout that a good friend has offered to me. I am familiar with the bike and know about it's peculiar parts like the cylinders, heads, wider transmission, and rear hub. This bike has those parts and that is all I care about. Late Sport Scouts have a good reputation for that era of bike, and flat head H-D, and Indians seem to be reliable, good handling, and peppy. It's not going to be a Triumph Daytona, or Honda 550, but for a vintage bike it should be fun to ride. For me, (and the bike I am looking at); I would not pursue the purist route, and would take some liberties with the restoration, and look at enjoying the building process, and the usable end result.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I would not pursue the purist route, and would take some liberties with the restoration, and look at enjoying the building process, and the usable end result.
                Thanks Eric I have to agree. There are plenty of shiny perfect show bikes. My plans have always been get a good strong reliable runner. Figure out how to get her to stop well. handle well, run cool, pull hard and be reliable. Clean up the dirty bits replace the worn parts and do my best to make a good daily runner, I can take to work and not worry about breaking down or a bird pooping on her. Serviceable and reliable but looking like an old bike.. It was painted 3 times already so I have no idea what the original color was any way:-)
                Cheers,
                Eric
                AMCA #35892 Just joined yesterday

Comment

Greetings Eric, glad to see you have ventured from the British/Italian/German world and will have some fun riding American. The worst thing is remembering that the bikes all shift in different ways and places! You will find some great resources here on the forum and in the club. Let me know when you get out to the Pacific Northwest and we'll take the Indian's out. See you at Oley?
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by C.Flint View Post
                    Greetings Eric, glad to see you have ventured from the British/Italian/German world and will have some fun riding American. The worst thing is remembering that the bikes all shift in different ways and places! You will find some great resources here on the forum and in the club. Let me know when you get out to the Pacific Northwest and we'll take the Indian's out. See you at Oley?
                    Chris
                    HI Chris All my bikes shift differently now different sides and different directions LOL I may have to move the throttle to the RH side on the scout if it is not there now as that is one thing I never had to vary.. I should be at Oley probably Thursday but only as a sightseer as it will be some time till I will have to lay a wrench on the Indian.

Comment

By the way, Eric; welcome to the AMCA.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        By the way, Eric; welcome to the AMCA.
                        Much Thanks! I will be lurking in the background trying to soak up the data till the bike arrives?

Cheers,
                        Eric

Comment

Working...
                        X