Side car for my 73 XLCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side car for my 73 XLCH

Guys i want your honest opinion i was debating putting a side car on my 73, are those ones on like discount warehouse for 2k to 2500 bux junk, or do you think they would be ok for my use. I generally stay within a 20 miles from my home ....thanx brett

It has more than enough power, but not delivered the right way.
    1. no low speed torque
    2. very close ratio 1st gear (compared to FLH or Brit sidecar/trials gearing)
    3. no flywheel weight
    More numerical final drive ratio* will help 1. and 2., you're stuck with 3.
    * K/KH engine sprocket and shorter primary chain, smaller transmission sprocket, larger rear sprocket, any combination of these.
    Probably need the auto-advance curve slowed down a bit, colder spark plugs, oil cooler.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

Find something like this, very light weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidecar-VEL...0AAOSwGsJbyyqe
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Brett,
        Exactly which sidecar are you considering?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
          Brett,
          Exactly which sidecar are you considering?
          Kind of like the rocketeer style.

Comment

Looks like a deal 2me. Those Eastern European sidecars are about the right size, plentiful, and easy to set up on a Sportster. If I had a hankerin' to put a sidecar on a Sportster, that's the way I'd go. They're all little light, which is good, and "in scale" with a Sporty. But I'd also ride around with a sandbag behind the seat, just to have enough heft to help me hold it down when I le-e-e-e-ean allaway into the passenger seat on a fast right turner...
            Yeah, just take your time learning things like that.
            Do it gradually, and you'll love the sidecar; drives unlike any other vehicle on the road!
            Last edited by Sargehere; 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM.
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Also the Velorex Jawa 560 is a lightweight fiberglass sidecar last made in about 1974. Steib also made a number of sidecars including the LS 200 one of the lighter ones. They are expensive but there were some clones of them such as, Globe, Precision, or Bender that do show up.
              Jim D

Comment

Looks like Rocketeer is sold through a discount house and not dealers as mentioned and reviews aren't favorable, something about universal mounts? Maybe someone had a positive experience and can chime in. (I would look for a used sidecar with Sportster specific mounts). Sportsters have more than adequate power and with a 73 just drop a couple trans sprocket teeth, top speed will rarely get over 60. Sarge helped me on the other forum and you can take what he says to the bank, my only regret is not getting into sidecars 40 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
                  Looks like Rocketeer is sold through a discount house and not dealers as mentioned and reviews aren't favorable, something about universal mounts? Maybe someone had a positive experience and can chime in. (I would look for a used sidecar with Sportster specific mounts). Sportsters have more than adequate power and with a 73 just drop a couple trans sprocket teeth, top speed will rarely get over 60. Sarge helped me on the other forum and you can take what he says to the bank, my only regret is not getting into sidecars 40 years ago
                  I figured the mounts would be a problem with discount warehouse, Yes i think i will look for one with specific mounts for my bike, thanx for info guys..

Comment

I figured the mounts would be a problem with discount warehouse, Yes i think i will look for one with specific mounts for my bike, thanx for info guys..
                    My guess is that if you look for one specific to a Sportster you will be riding two wheels only for a very long time. H-D never made a Sportster with a sidecar, so no factory mounts exist. And sidecars on Sportsters are like Unicorn droppings, basically non-existent. So if you aren't into the fabrication necessary or willing to pay someone who is you will be chasing your tail a long time. I've done a lot over the years with a 45 with Velorex for a friend, and over the years fitted a Ural on a Superglide, several H-D to H-D, but never anything on a Sportster. Regretfully a lot of the old Sidecar specialty shops are now long gone.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      My guess is that if you look for one specific to a Sportster you will be riding two wheels only for a very long time. H-D never made a Sportster with a sidecar, so no factory mounts exist. And sidecars on Sportsters are like Unicorn droppings, basically non-existent. So if you aren't into the fabrication necessary or willing to pay someone who is you will be chasing your tail a long time. I've done a lot over the years with a 45 with Velorex for a friend, and over the years fitted a Ural on a Superglide, several H-D to H-D, but never anything on a Sportster. Regretfully a lot of the old Sidecar specialty shops are now long gone.
                      I guess i should get the idea out of my head.Thanx for your honesty...

Comment

Motorvation and DMC offer Sportster mount kits for their sidecars and hundreds of pictures on the net of Sportsters with sidecars, albeit not MOCO brand. Specific mount kits can run $800.00 depending on manufacturer.

Comment

There is a Globe sidecar for sale on the Internet BMW Riders site. Not in bad shape and a fair price, Look under ibmwr.org listed under for sale sidecar heading.
                          Jim D

Comment

Working...
                          X