42 wla steel seat pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 wla steel seat pan

First time I'm trying this. Love the club. I'm currently restoring my deceased dad's military 42 wla Harley. The seat pan needs re covering. I know the original leather seat had three studs on each side to protect the leather seat covering etc. This pan has three holes on each side where I think these studs would have been located. They are below the rivet holes that go right around the rear of the pan. I'm not sure if the steel seat base has been ground, or cut off by my dad or the saddler he had re-cover this seat years ago. Enclosing photos of the base, showing some, or part of the rivet holes on each side. My question is do I have to weld pieces back on each side and re drill these three holes on each side. Palmers book shows saddles that don't look to have the military seats with a bottom lip or droop around each side? Any suggestions?

Michael Paquette restored my wla seat for me. Here are some before and after pics of it.my restored wla seat 2.jpgmy restored wla seat 4.jpgmy wla seat before restore 019.jpgmy wla seat before restore 025.jpg

Comment

Thanks Michael. Sure looks great now. Can you remember if the steel base had those three holes each side below the row of other holes going all the way around the base or pan. (See my attachments above) My base seems to be cut through those bottom holes?

Comment

I don't remember mine having all those additional holes which yours has. Michael can be found in the members section on here. He knows seats really well. I am Paps. Michael is Michael Paquette.

Comment

Thanks Paps. This is new to me mate. I have been a member of this great club for a few years now. I love the old bikes. I live in Australia so will try and find Micheal Paquette as you suggested and see if he can help me. Thanks for your help though Paps. Bye the way I am Dave.

Comment

Dave. Call Tony Blain there in Oz. He has a company called Redfern Motors. He may have a good seat available. If you cannot find him in the telephone listings, let me know and I will PM you his email address.

Comment

Thanks Paps. I know the company and will follow up your suggestion mate. I'll be back in touch. Cheers

Comment

I think we have it sorted Paps. I had started another thread asking for help on the seat and besides yourself, a few of the other members have given me some explanations and suggestions, ideas etc. I think I'm on the right track and I'll go with what you have all told me.
                Thanks again Paps. Take care
                No doubt we'll be talking again. If not before Christmas, Have a good one mate. Dave

Comment

Merry Christmas Dave.

Comment

Working...
                  X